Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep object in specific place or limit its movement?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
v.kozachenco
721 Views, 16 Replies

How to keep object in specific place or limit its movement?

In some cases fully constrained sketch elements could jump in "equivalent" places when I change parameters.

vkozachenco_0-1699559974293.png

Change parameter

vkozachenco_1-1699559995911.png

Is there a way to prevent this behaviour without overconstraining or overcomplication?
Maybe somehow limit movement, order object to stay "closer" to other object or stay at specific side, or use grid coordinates, or even setup non-strict dimmensions like "greated/less than"?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
davebYYPCU
in reply to: v.kozachenco

Try adding a vertical construction line, under the top tangent point down to the ellipse.  Fusion would have to eliminate it if it wants to flip sides.

Do you have any duplicate articles, those ellipse axis lines should not be orange.

Can check the file later.

Might help…..

Message 3 of 17
Drewpan

Hi,

Presumably you want the centre of the ellipse to stay where it is and the tangents move when you change

the ellipse parameters. Try dimensioning the location of the centre of the ellipse to a defined point. Also try

putting a horizontal and vertical constraint on the construction lines between the midpoints.

Will probably behave then.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 4 of 17
davebYYPCU
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Checked the file, have no answers. Vertical line did not help, was still totally unreliable with my testing, 

@Drewpan Nope, vertical centre point position has to be flexible.

@jeff_strater or @Phil.E 

Both tangent lines can / do flip to legal positions, another one for the bucket.

Message 5 of 17

no definitive answers for consistently and predictably controlling things like this.  sketch solver still needs tweaks.

but, sometimes adding geometry for the solver to chew on does alleviate the problem on a case by case bases.  To that end @davebYYPCU suggestion of adding a line was a good one.  that specific one just didn't work.  so try a different one. adding a circle with the center constrained to the endpoint of the line and tangent to the vertical axis line seems to work.

laughingcreek_0-1699637367659.png

Message 6 of 17
wersy

This works fine up to 19 mm.

Message 7 of 17
v.kozachenco

Thanks for testing, should I send some bug-report to let devs fix this one?

Message 8 of 17
Phil.E

If several small increments are used, can the parameter be changed? This could be another instance where a large value change causes flipping, but creeping up on it works. We fix them when we find them. I'm sorry I didn't have time to try this today myself.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 17
laughingcreek
in reply to: Phil.E

no. just changing from 20mm to 19mm causes this.

Message 10 of 17
davebYYPCU

When it fails reliably, how many small increments is the fix?  (It breaks with 1 mm increments)

I tried Alex's circles, but same result, still unreliable. 

srsr1db.PNG

(From 20 to 21)

srsrdb.PNG

The tangent lines have 2 legal outcomes - each, and for the required parameter change the sketch has been fully constrained ahead of the change/s.

Might help....

Message 11 of 17
Phil.E

Adding a line makes it stable.

PhilE_0-1701369973157.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 17
laughingcreek

@Phil.E - now change it to 18.5.  at this scale .5mm shouldn't be considered a big change-

laughingcreek_0-1701371200212.png

Message 13 of 17
davebYYPCU

Didn’t work for me before my message 4.  
The line cannot be constrained so is perfectly legal to flip too.

Requirement is for the tangent point to slide with parameter changing. 
When the tangent line wants to flip it will take your new line with it, unless you have some magic I didn’t see in the pic.

Written before Alex’s message.

Message 14 of 17
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

PhilE_0-1701372303069.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 17
Phil.E

I'm not arguing, there is no argument. I'm showing you what I find in testing. It's completely stable for me. I'm using the current insider build.

Don't worry, I logged a ticket. Just because there is a valid workaround (for me) doesn't reduce the need to look at the flipping issue.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 17
laughingcreek

my bad.  I didn't go straight to 18.5

laughingcreek_0-1701372714043.pnglaughingcreek_1-1701372723392.png

so on my end adding a line doesn't make it stable.  what are you doing different?

Message 17 of 17
Phil.E
in reply to: laughingcreek

No idea. I opened the file, replicated the flipping. Then drew the line, and found it was stable.

Testing again, it's not that stable. But I could make several changes without it flipping. It's definitely something that needs improving, but also your-mileage-may-vary.

PhilE_0-1701373169588.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report