Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join bodies made using pattern

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
986 Views, 17 Replies

How to join bodies made using pattern

I made identical bodies using the circular pattern function and all looks good in fusion. When I convert to stl and then slice it, it has random voids in it and extra lines. When I convert it to OBJ and slice it, it gets rid of the voids but the bodies print separately. Join doesn't seem to work on patterned bodies. Anybody know how to do this?STLSTLSTL after slicingSTL after slicingComponent in fusion 360Component in fusion 360Trying to print sliced OBJTrying to print sliced OBJ

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Combine > Join, 

Select one to join all bodies onto it.

Might help...

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

That's the problem. I can select any one body as the target body but then it will not let me select any others as the tool body. The patterned bodies act as one body but are not joined. There doesn't appear to be any way to join them.

Message 4 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

Please share the file.

File > export > save as f3d on local device  > attach it to the next post.

günther

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks, I've attached it below.

Message 6 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

try it this way

günther

Message 7 of 18
Joshua.Aigen

Here's the fix I would do:

1. Move the timeline before all the copy and pasting

2. Delete the pattern you made from the timeline

3. Fix all the errors that creates

4. Repattern the two bodies(not components)

Then everything should join no problem, in the end you should have a Top and a Bottom component without all the sub components inside the two components.

Joshua Aigen
Workshop Supervisor
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Well, that provided some truly bizarre results. First I hid all but the original body the did the pattern again. When I sliced it it came out completely different on each layer. So I went back and tried deleting all but the first body and then doing the pattern and tried STL and OBJ. Still bizarre and the same file came out different in each format. Screen shots attached. I guess I'll try Joshua's approach next. And thank you both, I really appreciate the help. I've been teaching myself fusion for a couple of months now and this is the only thing I haven't been able to solve.

STL.PNG

OBJ.png

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

I should have also mentioned that after I did the pattern I did successfully join the parts but it still came out weird.

Message 10 of 18
Joshua.Aigen

Looking at your file, one problem that comes up is that the components are all dependent on one another. So that means that any change to the component is pushed to the other components. In the future using this work flow you should consider using Paste New it will place a new component without that dependency.

Joshua Aigen
Workshop Supervisor
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Joshua.Aigen

I did what you suggested and it worked for the top half but the bottom half still shows  8 bodies after I perform the join. I've tried a few times but I'm obviously missing something and I can't see what it is.

Message 12 of 18
Joshua.Aigen

I'm not sure I understand it either, but try this and hopefully it works on your end. 

1. I deleted the first and second c&p in the first blue circle

2. then I deleted c&p in the second blue circle 

3. finally delete the last union and repeat it.

Then everything came together for me.Forums1.PNG

Joshua Aigen
Workshop Supervisor
Message 13 of 18
TrippyLighting

Look through the timeline of the attached model and see if you can make sense of it.

I suspect you'll have many questions, so don't hesitate to ask!

In your model the last combine only combined 2 of the 8 bodies.

I only used a single sketch:

TrippyLighting_0-1615488590931.png

and the timeline is much shorter:

TrippyLighting_1-1615488630851.png

Peter Doering
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Joshua.Aigen

That did it. Thank you both for your time and effort. I appreciate the help.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thank Peter, just saw this. I'm trying to do more complex designs to get past the nubie stage.

Message 16 of 18
TrippyLighting

Understood, but adding complexity before you've gotten down some of the basics is really not a good idea.

If you design complex stuff using your approach so far you'll run into trouble.

Peter Doering
Message 17 of 18
jeff_strater

I want to step in here  to address this question/issue:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the problem. I can select any one body as the target body but then it will not let me select any others as the tool body. The patterned bodies act as one body but are not joined. There doesn't appear to be any way to join them.

This is a bit of an admitted workflow issue, and we do have a bug logged to fix it.  However, you can do this.  The problem is that Fusion hides the body once it is selected, and body visibility is shared among component instances.  You can still select them, though, you just have to know where they are...

So, I would NOT recommend Paste New or patterning bodies, if you decide you do want to keep these as components.  That might not apply in this situation, but can definitely apply in other situations.

The screencast below illustrates how this works.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

That's a great tip, Thanks Jeff! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums