Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create trigger assembly?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1210 Views, 3 Replies

How to create trigger assembly?

Hello, I recently began to play with joints and I was wondering if it is possible to create something similar to a trigger assembly where one component's movement is restricted by another one getting in the way (just like disconector holds cocked hammer in place). Is there even a way making components act like under pressure? Just like hammer is under pressure from a spring and is realeased after pulling the trigger. I'm just beginning my adventure with fusion 360 and haven't really dived into it just yet. Please also note that I'm NOT using this software for any production purposes nor have I any extensive knowledge of industrial design and production techniques (amateur 3d artist).

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Good questions.  For "Is there even a way making components act like under pressure?".  The answer here is yes.  Use the "Rest" position of the Joint Limits.  This acts as a kind of a spring on the joint, which wants to return to this position.

joint rest position.png

joint rest position 2.png

Here is a screencast showing the behavior for a slider joint with a rest position in effect:

That's the easy question.  Your first question:  "if it is possible to create something similar to a trigger assembly where one component's movement is restricted by another one getting in the way" is a bit harder.

For simple assemblies, Contact Sets can work.  There are performance problems, though, for larger assemblies.  Here is a quick screencast showing contact sets:

However, as you see from the screencast, Rest + Contact Sets does not produce what you think it should.

There are other capabilities, such as Motion Link and Motion Study that can help, but I don't think they are particularly applicable to your goals.  Motion Study might be - I'll put together another screecast to illustrate with this simple example.

That's about the limit of what Fusion can do today.  It is not really a physics-based dynamic simulation environment, but using some tricks, you can do a pretty good job of illustrating motion in an assembly.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

Sorry for the delay.  Here is an approach using Motion Study.  This is not physics-based at all, but if you are careful, you can emulate the behavior.  Hopefully you get the idea.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Wow, Many thanks! It really helps. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report