Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop a body from entering the space of another body?

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
jan.gunnelin
4008 Views, 26 Replies

How can I stop a body from entering the space of another body?

Hello,

I'm trying to stop a body from entering the space of another body when moving it across the workplane, is there a way to achieve this? I.e. I'd like to stop two bodies from overlapping each other.

Thanks in advance,

Regards Jan Gunnelin

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jan.gunnelin

You can prevent that by not moving the body you are moving.

If you have components, and not bodies there are many ways to do what you ask.

Try a screencast to show us the problem.

Message 3 of 27
jan.gunnelin
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hello,

Thanks for the quick feedback! You are correct, it is components that I try/should try to move without interfering with each other. Please see the attached screenshot with a red and a white component. They should end up side-by-side, not overlapping each other.

Regards Jan

Message 4 of 27
davebYYPCU

With Joints there is the offsets section of the Dialogue.

When you select the Components, you are asked for reference points, then you set the Offset to separate them.

Might help....

Message 5 of 27

Please share your model (export as .f3d and attach)

EESignature

Message 6 of 27
jan.gunnelin

I tried your proposal and it works fine! But I need to do this in two dimensions simultaneously, and then it can't help me, I loose the joint created in the first dimension when I activate a joint in the second dimension.

Message 7 of 27

Hi Peter,

I can't share my design at the moment but you can think of it as a smaller corner that should fit inside a larger corner (in two dimesions initially). The smaller corner shall not interfere with the larger corner, i.e. just touch it seen from the inside of the larger corner.

Message 8 of 27
davebYYPCU

More screenshots, will stop our guessing being off the mark, 

Joint Offset allows three at the same time, I can’t see the problem so far.

Message 9 of 27

@jan.gunnelin wrote:

Hi Peter,

I can't share my design at the moment but you can think of it as a smaller corner that should fit inside a larger corner (in two dimesions initially). The smaller corner shall not interfere with the larger corner, i.e. just touch it seen from the inside of the larger corner.

Then we shall reconvene when you have time to post your model.

EESignature

Message 10 of 27
jan.gunnelin

Thanks so far! I'll be back with more screenshots later on! I will try out joints a bit more also.

Message 11 of 27

Thanks so far! I'll be back with more screenshots later on!

Message 12 of 27
jan.gunnelin

Hello again,

I have attached two screenshots. I tried to attach one exported file (I could not find the option .f3d as requested but exported an .f3z file via the Fusion webinterface instead). I failed for unkown reasons. Anyhow, the leftmost figure shows a manually correctly aligned combination of a large and a small corner. The middle figure shows manually misaligned corners and the rightmost figure a failed attempt to align the corners with two joints. The second joint breaks the first joint as I understand the situation.

Regards Jan

Message 13 of 27
davebYYPCU

If you were starting with the red component, and decided to build the bone coloured one in place, 

one would need a sketch for the corner of the bone component.  Project it (the Apex sketch position,) into the red component.  

When not built in place sketch the destination position in the red component. (One line would be enough.

Use the apex on both components, 

Might help.....

Message 14 of 27

Before giving any recommendations on a better workflow I would need to understand what the overall goal of the design is.

For example I don't quite understand the need to use derived components in a design that looks fairly simple at this point.

There;s no need to export anything. For distributed design you can simply share the public link to the design, which can be retrieved from the design on the data panel.

EESignature

Message 15 of 27

This example was just an illustration of my need to reuse a large building block including a white angle in a number of other large building blocks including a red angle. When the building block including the white angle is derived for use in another building block, it "lands" somewhere on the worksheet and then needs to be moved to a target location with ease and without colliding/interfering with the target component.

Here is a link to the CombinedCorners design example:

https://a360.co/2J6rIei

Message 16 of 27
jan.gunnelin

Hi davebYYPCU,

Thanks, I'll experiment with sketches and apexes a bit!

Regards Jan

Message 17 of 27

I looked at your design and you may know this already, but I am going to mention it anyway.

The sketches In your individual components are not fully constrained and dimensioned.

They are also not constrained to the sketch origin and that is never a good idea.

This sketch is fully defined and the sketch icon in the browser is equipped with a little red pin if it is fully defined.:

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 4.56.05 PM.png

Then it really only makes sense to use "derive" insta of "insert" for external component if you actually intending to modify this components in the assembly. If not, then "insert" dos the same thing, but has two advantages. It is less data heavy and uses less computational resources. You can inert a component into any subassembly level you want to. But derive goes currently always into the top level ( that is a real bummer IMHO).

The next thing I'd recommend is ....

Hang, on. I just ran into a bug in this awesome software that was reported a few years ago ( a number of times by yours sincerely) . I need to see if I can find a nice workaround.

EESignature

Message 18 of 27

I filed two bugs in conjunction with the workflow I was going to show.

1. These component done;t really have geometry at those points where one would want to join then, so this would be a good opportunity to add an explicit joint origin just for that purpose. It does work, but ...

when you edit the joint origin it looses it;'s connection to the parameter.

Let's not edit joint origins then and move on to the next problem.

2. When you then open the design that these components are derived into, you need to update the components.

Then you'll find that you won't find the joint origins in these derived components. That's another bug.

So if you're happy with not editing joint origins and can use "insert" instead of "derive" then we can continue down this road.

Otherwise I'll have to come up with a more convoluted workaround.

EESignature

Message 19 of 27

Hello Peter,

Thanks for all your efforts in helping me out, including filing bug reports! I really appreciate it as I'm a newcomer to Fusion 360, I have just recently moved to it from TINKERCAD. To set and edit a Joint Origin can probably be a viable way forward for me, I just tried it for the first time and it seems to work! Thanks for the hint! 🙂 Here's the latest version of the CombinedCorners experiment:

https://a360.co/2J6rIei

I can't see or find out the difference between Derive and Insert in my Fusion 360 Model view, please see the attached "AvailablInsertCommands" screenshot.

Regards Jan

Message 20 of 27

Looks like I never posted the result of my experiment. I only call this an experiment because the bugs in Fusion 360 made it more difficult then it needed to be.

What I did in the designs for the individual components is to add an explicit joint origin. this geometry is a very good candidate for the use of these explicit joint origins, because the geometry does not one any convenient snapping points for the implicit joint origins that are cerated during the creation of a joint.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.33.04 PM.png

I just extended the sketch in the design so I had point to reference for the joint origin.

The creation dialogue allows to offset the joint origin and I used the parameter for the diameter. "d3" (divided by 2) to offset the joint origin to the desired location.

Then I turned off the sketch. The visibly of explicit joint origins can be turned off in linked designs, as opposed to sketches.

In the assembly I created a subassembly that contains both of the parts, joined to the origin of that assembly "Asm".

Then I joint "Asm" to the main origin and patterned  it.

Of course if this would be an irregular pattern then you could create a sketch and join the joint origins to points in the sketch.

Here's a link to the design.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report