Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling an Unstitched body back to a Solid

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jimmberry
734 Views, 13 Replies

Filling an Unstitched body back to a Solid

Can you give advice on how to make this into a solid object?  I had to unstitch it so i could make the spout on the end.   I intended to do a loft but that's not working. 

Patch isn't doing what i wanted either.

Lower Cup w spout.jpg

An export of the component is here:

Labels (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jhackney1972
in reply to: jimmberry

Here you go.  Use Surface Patches and Surface Extend on the inside wall and inside lip.  Then Stitch the result to get a continuous inside wall.  Use that to Trim a complete Surface Patch over the top.  Last Stitch it all together.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 14
jeff_strater

I don't know your intention with the two little boxes, so I ignored them.  The screencast below shows how to get a surface on top of the model and stitch it back into a solid.  Hopefully that gives you some idea how to progress.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 14
jhackney1972
in reply to: jeff_strater

@jeff_strater that is a cool way to get the top surface!  I approached it with all surfaces, which is truly not as elegant.  I learned something tonight!

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 14
davebYYPCU

You can decide what to do with body 6 and 7.

Hide those 2, and stitch the rest together.

Loft the top edges and then stitch the all together.

Will be a solid body with 2 surface open boxes, hidden inside.

Might help...

Message 6 of 14
jhackney1972

I refined my surface work a bit to get a better fill surface so the attached model is a better form at the spout.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 14
jimmberry

Hey all,  These are some pretty amazing anwers and I wanted to let you know that i'm going over them like 10 zillion times.  A lot of this was over my head as I'm still in rookie mode.

Thanks so much!!   I'm not done looking at this.  I'm practicing techniques shown here before i try it on my real model.

Message 8 of 14
jeff_strater

glad to hear it.  If any or all of these feel like a solution, please click on the "accept solution" (on the posts where the solution is posted - you can select multiple).  It helps others who are looking for similar answers find a thread that has a solution.  Thanks!

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 14

Got to see some really good tips and skills....

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 10 of 14
ritste20
in reply to: jeff_strater

I never thought about sweeping the connecting line between the inside and outside faces. My approach would have been more in line with @jhackney1972 with extending and trimming surfaces.

Thanks for the insight @jeff_strater 

Regards,

Steve Ritter
Manufacturing Engineer

AutoCAD/Draftsight
Inventor/Solidworks
Fusion 360
Message 11 of 14
jimmberry

@jhackney1950  and @jeff_strater  thank you so much for working with this.  I've been playing with your recordings for days now.  I've learned a lot!

The only thing I'm stuck on is that after the solid is created with either of your approaches, the bumpins on the spout side have disappeared.   They should be hollow to receive a component that will slide over it on the top.

I know it may sound simple to you but I can't figure out how to cut them out again.  Push/pull isn't working -- i presume because its' an uneven plane to draw a sketch on or use the existing geometry.

Can you advise?

Lower Cup w spout B.jpg

Attached f3d file is where I'm at. 

Message 12 of 14
jhackney1972

Here you go.  I will follow up with a Screencast of the process.  Model is attached.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 13 of 14
jhackney1972

Since you retained the surfaces for the two notches, which gives you the right deep and size, it is a pretty straight forward process.  Take a look at the Screencast.  I am glad you did not remove those surfaces.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 14 of 14
jimmberry

@jhackney1972i can't believe how easy that was.  You have no idea how much time i spent trying to figure that out.  Thank you so much!! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report