Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

215 REPLIES 215
SOLVED
Message 1 of 216
Anonymous
106553 Views, 215 Replies

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

HELLO 

I WOULD LIKE TO DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

AND 

WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST PROCSSER FOR FUSION IF I AM HANDELING LARGE CAM AND COMPLEX 3D ASSEMLY

LET ME KNOW

215 REPLIES 215
Message 141 of 216

Running Fusion in a Windows VM hosted on a Linux computer is not running
Fusion on Linux. That is not support for Linux. Running via Wine, an
adaptation layer could count I suppose, but we have no desire to run
Windows even in a VM here.
Message 142 of 216
etfrench
in reply to: scott.d.gray

@scott.d.gray wrote:
Running Fusion in a Windows VM hosted on a Linux computer is not running
Fusion on Linux. That is not support for Linux. Running via Wine, an
adaptation layer could count I suppose, but we have no desire to run
Windows even in a VM here.

Well, that certainly makes it simple for you.  Just keep running Fusion 360 on your apple or windows machines.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 143 of 216

Sure, KVM is the virtualization infrastructure built in all the recent linux kernels, which means that any reasonably recent linux machine already has all that's needed to virtualize any x86 OS with stellar performance. 

Just do a web search for these keywords to get all the details: kvm, qemu, virt-manager, iommu, vfio.

The only thing that's "lacking" in KVM is some form of paravirtualized accelerated graphics driver, which means you won't get any graphical acceleration in your guests BUT that's not a limitation if you use GPU passthrough, which consists in assigning a physical GPU to your guest so that the VM has direct access to the PCI device, operating it at full speed.

This is a setup that is often used for games, but of course CAD applications can benefit from it just as fine.

Once you have your VM running with a GPU attached, you may want to control it from your linux desktop, so you don't have to pass through another mouse and keyboard, and switch inputs on your monitor(s): there, for windows guests, you have two options.

RDP is the classic windows remote desktop protocol, and I find it perfect for stuff like Office, and even F360. You can use it windowed or full screen, but it's not fast enough for videos or games.

For that, if you have a Nvidia card passed through to the guest, you can use their gamestream tech, which allows you to stream your desktop in x264 at a very high bitrate so that the feeling is the same as using the machine directly.

It's so good it's actually used to stream games at 4K60fps from your pc to the Nvidia shield, and on local networks works perfectly. Of course you won't use a shield but the Moonlight client.

So to make this all work the only caveat is that you must have at least two Gpus.

Message 144 of 216

A native version is not going to happen, wine IME is slow and/or buggy and as much as I like it for what it is and does, the VM is the only real option today. Windows can be used for free if you don't mind about the watermark. Otherwise there's plenty of OEM licenses on amazon for like 10 bucks, so the problem here is entirely ideological.

I get it, but I am also in the camp of those that would prefer a better Fusion on Windows, than Fusion on Linux.

Message 145 of 216

Thanks, very helpful!

EESignature

Message 146 of 216

No, the caveat is you are still running it on Windows. It doesn't matter
how many backflips to try to call it running on Linux. Windows is not an
option on our network period.
Message 147 of 216

@scott.d.gray understood!

EESignature

Message 148 of 216
BASF_Ace
in reply to: pietro.baricco

Does using VFIO mean you need 2 GPUs to display both your host OS and the virtual machine?

Message 149 of 216
pietro.baricco
in reply to: BASF_Ace

Yes, you need a dedicated GPU for your windows VM so that it can use hardware acceleration.

You don't necessarily need any monitor physically attached to it though, you can use any remote desktop software to control it.

In my PC I have 3 GPUs, a very old and basic radeon HD for the linux host, then a RX550 for the linux VM (my daily driver desktop), and a 1660Ti for Windows, which I use for gaming and F360. The monitors are physically attached to the RX550 only.

Message 150 of 216
voxwill
in reply to: jeff_strater

Dear Jeff,

Linux-support would be greatly appreciated. Dualbooting to Windows only for Fusion360 is somewhat inconvenient, which makes me consider some other options... Although Fusion360 is really good!

If you're curious, I use Fusion360 mostly to make parts for 3D-printing.

Best Regards

Sebastian from Norway

Message 151 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: voxwill

Soon there might be no reason to support MSWindows.

If WSL 2 will work as good as Microsoft say it will, the Linux version can run natively on Windows, so a Windows version would not be needed and need not use development resources for that one vendors platform...

Message 152 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

would be wonderful if Autodesk let me at least download the installation files so I could run it on a VM or under WINE. But the site stupidly blocks downloads from Linux users... there are ways to circumvent this; but come on Autodesk...

Message 153 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

They should have developed for Linux based systems first!  We no longer care about Windows, Apple, amazon, google or whatever other level of retail consumer based products.  Windows is no longer fit for any professional use.  Apple products have never been suited for any professional use.  Please cater to professionals first! 

Message 154 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: dstevenslv

There will be money in it when everyone stops using all windows and apple products.  We are fed up with their garbage and it is not suitable for any professional use.  Open source or bust.  If the planet does not make this shift we will all perish. 

Message 155 of 216
daniel_lyall

Never going to happen, more people use windows and apple than Linux.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 156 of 216
joao_mamede
in reply to: daniel_lyall

"most people" don't use fusion 360 either. And since when, "I like to be like everyone else" is a good thing?

Message 157 of 216
joao_mamede
in reply to: joao_mamede

By the way Fusion 360 runs with the installer in lutris and runs on crossover office.

It needs dxvk  installed and active and I think that was about it with the most recent version.

There are little UI bugs, but since autodesk doesn't care about the most efficient and most performing operating system...we have to deal with it.

Message 158 of 216
etfrench

"We" is a miniscule number of people when compared to Windows and Apple we's.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 159 of 216
daniel_lyall
in reply to: joao_mamede

@joao_mamede Once you convert all programs I use on mac and windows to Linux yer I might move. have you remembered to ask every other cad/cam company to do a Linux version as well.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 160 of 216
joao_mamede
in reply to: etfrench

Actually data shows that it's not minuscule vs macosx. But why look at real data if we can be so sure of things without research. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report