Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert To Sheetmetal - Thickness Error Message

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
salesYEXHJ
1897 Views, 15 Replies

Convert To Sheetmetal - Thickness Error Message

Hi Everyone

We are trying to convert a drawing into a sheetmetal format so that it can be laser cut and CNC bent for us.  We have watched and are following the example provided in the 360 Live Tutorial: Creating HVAC parts in Fusion 360 Sheet Metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGwn6SsyPwA

While we were able to get it to work in the tutorial example we can't get the procedure to apply to our own design.  I am not sure what we have done differently.

Screencast link https://autode.sk/2AVnbrY

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this for us.

Labels (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

File>Export and then Attach the *.f3d file here.

Your Loft surfaces are twisted - they are not planar.

Be careful where you are getting your sources of information.

Message 3 of 16
salesYEXHJ
in reply to: salesYEXHJ

Message 4 of 16

File Attached to my reply post.

To untwist I'm imagining using a polygon with more sides?

Message 5 of 16

Your sketches are not fully defined.

Your problem does not match the video that you linked (twisted surfaces).

Indicate timestep of video that you are relying on to indicate that this is possible in Fusion 360.

Message 6 of 16

@salesYEXHJ wrote:

Can you make a decision on exactly what you want (your lines in Sketch1 are not all 4 inches).

Do you have a similar existing part in the real world?

Message 7 of 16

@salesYEXHJ wrote:

Is something like the Attached what you are after?

Sheet Metal Loft.PNG

Message 8 of 16
jhackney1972

I used your measurements as much as possible but as @TheCADWhisperer said, your sides were twisted since you were coming from a octagon to a hexagon.  I change the small sketch to a octagon to match.  You also will have to add a fillet to the seams of the stitched surface, I used .188 radius, in order to make the conversion and flat pattern to work.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 9 of 16
salesYEXHJ
in reply to: jhackney1972

I'm getting closer thanks to both of you

The twist problem made sense as soon as it was mentioned.  

Not being fully defined was something I hadn't noticed but have been able to fix

At which stage does one add the fillets?

Order....

sketch1

sketch2

loft 5 sides

stitch 5 sides together

add thickness

fillet 4 bends

convert to sheetmetal

I seem to end up with individual sections and not a single piece of sheetmetal

file attached of my revised work including fully defined (and slightly modified) sketches

Message 10 of 16
jhackney1972

You would add the fillets after the individual lofted surfaces are fully stitched together.  I will not be available too look at your model for a few hours as i am away from my computer.  You have to make sure you have successfully stitched ass individual lofted surfaces together before moving on.  After stitching you should have one surface body.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

You still have two twisted faces.

If you can't create a sketch on the face - then it is not planar.

(Also, this can be done with one Loft (didn't you look at the file that I attached earlier) and the fillets are done before Thicken (again - this was demonstrated in the file that I attached earlier)).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 16

Here is another example using your latest attempt (see Attached).

Second Try.PNG

Message 13 of 16

Thanks again CadWhisperer

After you mention it I again can see the twists and it makes sense that that is the problem.  That makes it seem like a dimension issue between sketch 1 and sketch 2 I think?

I notice that it looks like you needed a change to the face lengths on some of the smaller octagon (sketch2)?  That is no problem for the real world us of the part....I'm having some trouble following the thought process on how you decided those lengths though.  It appears to be the solution that I was missing though

I would like to understand so I can apply the knowledge in the future if possible

Message 14 of 16

The key is that the lines have to be parallel from one sketch to another in order to create planar faces.

(BTW, this isn't a limitation in Autodesk Inventor Professional where you can create Lofted Flange sheet metal parts directly.  Students can download Inventor for free.)

Message 15 of 16

Thanks again for the help guys.  Progress has been made now for sure

When adjusting the smaller octagon was there a formula or strategy used?  Or just some trial and error until the faces straightened out?

Message 16 of 16

@salesYEXHJ wrote:

Or just some trial and error until the faces straightened out?

No trial and error.

I simply changed your octagon to construction - you could make it ANY size you want.

The key was making Lines 1 and 2 the same length as your lines.

After that - everything was driven by the size of the octagon.

Because all lines must be parallel - there was only one possible solution for the remaining 3 lines.

Now, if you didn't place Line 3 on the octagon - there are other possible solutions (longer to the left, shorter to the right in image below).

Driven Length.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report