Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex mesh to solid

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
dorel.comsa
970 Views, 17 Replies

Complex mesh to solid

Hello,

I have this network that comes from a scan that I have to turn into a solid and then be able to change its shape.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can do this?

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
jeff_strater
in reply to: dorel.comsa

that is a pretty messy mesh.  I would start by cleaning up that mesh.  You might be able to do it in Fusion, but, personally, I would use Meshmixer for that.  Trim off the unneeded bits, clean up any holes, etc.  Then, I would follow the recommendation by @TrippyLighting here:  how-to-work-with-irregular-and-organic-stl-files , which uses InstantMeshes to convert a triangle mesh to a quad mesh.  Then, bring that result back into Fusion (with triangulation turned off), and you can convert it to a T-Splines (Form) body, which can then be easily modified.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 18
dorel.comsa
in reply to: jeff_strater

I've already tried this and I can't get a solid body that doesn't lose its details.
I want to take the dimensions of these model and change the shape. Is there an easier way to do this?

Message 4 of 18

What is your level of experience with CAD & 3D modeling ?

I would likely use a surfacing workflow to replicate the geometry of this object, but that is certainly not a beginner task!  

However is is also quite possible the the quality of the outcome does not need to meet the quality requirements I have for my own work. As such a bit more detail about the intended end use would help determining a feasible workflow. 

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

Can you share the mesh model?

Message 6 of 18
dorel.comsa

I'm not very experienced in CAD and 3D modeling, I started to work with solid modeling from 4 years ago with in faculty, and from half a year I started to work in fusion with surface modeling.

This is a personal project and in the end I want to print this at real size(1:1 scale).

@TrippyLightingwhat is your workflow proposal for this?

Message 7 of 18
dorel.comsa
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I can share my model.

Message 8 of 18

Can you Attach zip rather than rar?

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Your 3D mesh is a very heavy file (111Mb) this is going to be really hard to open directly in Fusion 360.

I will try to import it to my workstation and see if Fusion can handle it.

Can you try to re-scan your part again and request to your 3D scanner a lower resolution? (Suggested file size is around 10Mb *.OBJ )

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Here's my first attempt to handle your 3D mesh:

Fusion spent almost 10 minutes trying to open your 111Mb file size.

The scanned model has a glitch. I've found 2 mesh objects.

The first one is a big mesh with more than a million and a quarter triangles.

The second one is a small mesh... almost invisible.

I think you need a better scanned, one single model mesh.

Be careful: Fusion 360 is limited to handle no more than 10 thousand triangles in a 3D mesh.

I will try to clean and reduce the size of your 3D mesh using a 3rd party software...

Message 11 of 18

Yes, I attached the *.f3d file compressed in zip

Message 12 of 18
dorel.comsa

I have no change to re scan the object because I don't have one.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

Understand...

The mesh is really dense and Fusion can handle up to 10 thousand triangles...

I'm getting really bad performance in my workstation trying to reduce the size of this mesh...

Message 14 of 18
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

Understand...

The mesh is really dense and Fusion can handle up to 10 thousand triangles...

I'm getting really bad performance in my workstation trying to reduce the size of this mesh...

The 10k polygon limitation only applies when you want to convert the mesh directly to a BRep. That would likely make no sense!

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

That's what @dorel.comsa is asking for:

"I have this network that comes from a scan that I have to turn into a solid and then be able to change its shape."

I was able to reduce the 3D mesh (now is 18k facets) but the new problem is that Fusion can't repair all singularities.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Hi @dorel.comsa 

I missed asking you: Can you give us some overall dimensions and units of your part?

Message 17 of 18
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous You can safely assume that I know precisely what he's asking for!

EESignature

Message 18 of 18

In general, the approach you are taking by creating the mesh section sketches is OK.

However, my recommendation would be not to try yo use these directly as input to loft geometry, because the curvature of such curves is terrible and is likely going to lead not only to bad surfaces, but modeling problems later on.

What experience with CAD and surface modeling do you have ?

I would not consider this a beginner problem! to do this properly you need to have a pretty good understanding of surfacing techniques. 

What changes to the shape do you want to make ?

As others have already noted, this mesh file is dense and pretty large in file size, so loading the Fusion 360 file might take a while. I'd play around with reducing it until you start loosing detail and then use the result for mesh section sketches and as a visual guideline. 

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report