Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Model Libraries

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
7971 Views, 4 Replies

Common Model Libraries

Hey, if I would like to use some very common standardized parts in my design, is there a place that I can go to load them in so that I don't need to design them myself?

For example, I am designing some PVC furniture at the moment and would like to use some standard Schedule 40 PVC pipes and fittings. Is there a library for PVC? I would also like to attach casters to the legs. Clearly I will be buying casters to attach when it comes time to make my furniture, so I'd be thrilled if there was a catalog of parts that included casters.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: Anonymous

Mc MAster Carr

CrabCAD

3DContentCentral

Traceparts

Cadenas

I could continue this list with hundreds if not thousands of vendors that make their products available in form of 3D models.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

So how do I access this treasure trove of models? Is there a marketplace feature built into Fusion 360? I have not been able to find one if there is. Or do I need to hunt around websites and download files? If so, can they be added to Fusion 360 so that they are easily accessible as a library or do the individual models need to be imported into my project one at a time?

Message 4 of 5
TrippyLighting

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 12.26.43 PM.png

If you want to build a lire you'll have to download the manufacturer components individually and build yourself a library "by hand" using a Folder structure in the data panel.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
ToddHarris7556

@TrippyLighting has already covered it... there are lots of online suppliers that have great catlogs. McMaster is (IMO) the easiest and most useful. 

Just to be clear - though there are great sources of parts online, Fusion's ability to create/manage a parts library locally probably isn't one of it's stengths (again, IMO). Meaning, simply, that it's not quite elegant/easy to download a bunch of standard parts and create your own 'parts library'. You can.... kinda/sorta. You can create a dedicated 'library' project, and download all your standard parts to there. Then you can link them in to any project you like. If you're going to take that approach, I would recommend setting up a well thought-out folder system within your Library project. 

Otherwise, your can certainly download MMC parts - or any other parts - one at a time and insert into your designs. I'm not disparaging it in any way, but it's not anywhere near the same as creating an Inventor Content Center entry, or creating an easily-usable 'Library'. 

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report