Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you a professional using -- or interested in using -- Fusion 360™?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Allison.Leach
7432 Views, 12 Replies

research logo.png

We want to hear how professionals like you currently work so that we can better meet your needs.

Share your experience in this 5-minute survey!

Thanks for your help,
The Autodesk Research Team

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
lucasliraAU
in reply to: Allison.Leach

Answer completed

Best regards!

----------------------------------------------------------

Lucas Lira - Fusion 360 Technologies, Design and Applications - Autodesk Hub Diamond

Direct contact at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucaslirasantos/
VEX Robotics Engineering in Brazil - https://www.vexforum.com/u/lucas_lira/summary

Main Researcher and Technology Applications in Nerd Factory - https://www.fabricadenerdes.com/
Message 3 of 13

Survey Completed

MelvinBrian3D
Message 4 of 13

@melvinbrian3d

@lucasliraAU

I don't want to discourage you from contributing to the community, but I would say that if you don't have at least 5-10 years of practical experience in post graduate, professional  mechanical design or machine design work in the industry, or you should not answer this survey.

my 2 cents.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13

Hello

Well, when I access the search link I'm only directed to the field where I can mention my area of action. After mentioning this the search is completed automatically.
I believe the research has already been closed .. Something of the genre.

Greetings from Brazil!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucas Lira - Fusion 360 Technologies, Design and Applications - Autodesk Hub Diamond

Direct contact at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucaslirasantos/
VEX Robotics Engineering in Brazil - https://www.vexforum.com/u/lucas_lira/summary

Main Researcher and Technology Applications in Nerd Factory - https://www.fabricadenerdes.com/
Message 6 of 13

Why not?  Professional Users are Professional Users.  How is the work that I do any less valid than the work that you do?  How is the way I use the product any less valid than the way you use it?

Message 7 of 13

@jasonhomrighaus I did not say that your workflow is less valid than my workflow. In fact I did not address my specific workflows or needs and neither did I address yours.

I had a very specify reason to make that post but I am not interested in explaining it or arguing about it!

EESignature

Message 8 of 13

I inferred that somehow since I have not got 5-10 years in the field that I am not qualified to share my thoughts about how i use BOM in Fusion, At least thats how it came off.

Whatever your reasons or goals might be you kind of crapped on a good majority of Fusion Users. Bad form IMHO

Message 9 of 13

You make too many assumptions.

If you've taken the survey you should know why.

If you'd spent enough time here on the form and contribute, you'd knew why.

The survey was aimed at professional users. Professional users clearly have different needs than most hobby users, particularly in the mechanical design and machine design area that Fusion 360 is targeting. Of all the CAD systems I have worked with in the past and I am currently working with the BOM (and drawing) environments in Fusion 360 are by far the weakest.

Yet due to the cloud based approach would have great potential (fo the BOM).

Getting feedback from users that work with these tools daily and maybe even some that are able to verbalize a vision that goes beyond their current tools and use cases is essential to develop something that doesn't just match what's on the market, because that isn't enough.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13

The survey was still open for me. 

Knowing the countless hours of effort Peter has put in here over the years providing high quality assistance to users at all levels of experience, I took his comment to be just what it was: an observation that the survey questions are definitely for users who regularly use tools for BOM generation, production planning and costing, etc.- areas where Fusion is very weak. We need people with specific experience and requirements in those areas to weigh in on directions Fusion needs to go. His comment was direct, but I think it was not rude or intended to be dismissive. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Correction: Fusion 360 is not weak in BOM and the drawing environment. The BOM is not existing and the drawing environment is Beta-like. The two functions simply don't meet the need for professionals, even a small scale. 

That said, Fusion 360 is a fantastic piece of software, especially for SME and Start-ups. If (or when?) the Fusion team get these functions up in gear, Fusion 360 will be the king of SME. 

Input to the BOM function @Allison.Leach

What I really miss is a BOM function that closes the gap between a spread sheet BOM and the PLM software (eg. Fusion Lifecycle). For many SMEs and all Start-ups, PLM software is just too heavy and feature rich. What is needed is something basic with a flat learning curve. Features I would love would be:

• Basic BOM functionality with non-design metrics (price, supplier info, lead time, etc.) but linked to the 3d model.
  • Ability to link other documents to BOM entries (pdf, pics, google.doc, etc.)
  • cloud-based with how-can-see-what management (so vendors can have access). In a perfect world, it would also work off-line

Message 12 of 13
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, exactly. Rather than trying to reach the level of complexity and sophistication of some other Autodesk tools for BOM, provide the basics that would be needed for small startups just trying to be organized. The things you describe would be incredibly helpful and hit the "sweet spot" for many of us. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 13 of 13

I completed the survey, some answers in my current situation, some based on my past experiences. 

Perhaps changing the title to clarify that this is a focus group for those that use, or have used BOM's would be more appropriate rather than diminishing the inputs of others in a "Professional" manner. The topic infers there is a much broader scope to it than simply a BOM survey. 

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report