Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approach to parametric surface design

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
581 Views, 6 Replies

Approach to parametric surface design

In 1 sentence: How would you create the part shown in the drawing in Fusion 360?

Hello,

I'm working myself into Fusion 360, coming from CatiaV5. While in general the transition goes a lot smoother than expected, I fear now that my knowledge from another CAD is giving me tunnel vision for different design approaches.

hand drawn sketchhand drawn sketch

I included this hand drawn sketch of what I'm trying to represent in 3D. My idea was to create a wireframe (a skeleton over which one could drape a "cloth" to create the surface) for this structure, using planar sketches and 3d lines. Next step would have been to create the surfaces using patch and loft. In the final step I wanted to use the thicknessing tool to create a volume.

However I noticed that Fusion does not seem to be laid out for such use. There are for example no tools to connect two vertices in 3D, or for creating the helix on the inner cylinder, I only found a workaround over the model toolbench using a solid coil.

So I'm quite convinced that there is an easier solution for this construction, I just can't see it yet. Maybe it does not even involve surface design?
What approach would you take?

Thanks a lot in advance, with my best regards

Urban

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Something like this one, Coils don't allow strict compliance with your mud map, (no sizes)

Would like to see the tube loft tangent to the Ramp loft, but run out of time tonight.

cltnnl.PNG

I used a coil for the inside and outside curves before the variable fillet on the outside, 

The inside vertical tube was the main challenge.  Tunnel loft was also tricky to get the right shape.

cltnnl2.PNG

Will attach the file when a few experiments are cleaned out.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Wow thanks a lot! I would love to see the file.

"Coils don't allow strict compliance with your mud map, (no sizes)"

- Do you mean a strict compliance is not possible because I didn't include any measurements in my mud map, or because some operations cannot be adjusted in Fusion?

I did not include dimensions because my main goal here is to learn the concept and workflow, so no need to bore you with exact dimensions. I will build my own model of it from scratch to hopefully remember it the next time I encounter a similar problem.

I'm looking forward to going through the timeline of the file to understand how you built it.

And I'd just like to add a big thank you again, I did totally not expect someone actually sitting down and drawing the whole model for me! You are awesome.

Message 4 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Sent you a PM, should get time tonight for a better iteration.

Message 5 of 7
TrippyLighting

Public questions should be answered publicly so other users can also gain from the techniques used!

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I am not finished here

that's my intention, but I wanted more detail,

before publishing a clean file of what has been previewed.

Also I am away from the Desktop for three days, and gave him that heads up...

Message 7 of 7
TrippyLighting

Fair dinkum mate!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report