Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the latest python version officially suported in Fusion 360?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ursamajorfb
830 Views, 6 Replies

What is the latest python version officially suported in Fusion 360?

How do I determine the latest version of python that is officially supported for use in Fusion 360? Is there a document I can reference? Is it buried in the software or installation directory?

Python is currently at 3.9.x but I can't locate which version is supported in Fusion 360.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JeromeBriot
in reply to: ursamajorfb

Hello,

Edit any Python add-in from Fusion 360 and see the version specified at the bottom-left corner in VS Code :

api-python-version.PNG

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 7

I would like to second the proposal to have an official URL to the officially supported Python, preferably reachable from the very first "how to set up your development environment" page or some such.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7

The simple way to know what version of Python Fusion is using is to use the "TEXT COMMANDS" window and make sure the "Py" radio button is selected and type "sys.version" at the prompt. I get the result shown below indicating Python 3.7.6.

sys.version

3.7.6 (tags/v3.7.6:43364a7ae0, Dec 19 2019, 00:42:30) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 5 of 7

Hi Brian,
Your information is correct, of course, but what if I have never done Fusion 360 API work before? I can't open a console with a Python I haven't installed or a console on an Autodesk provided Python if I don't know where it is.  I just want to get my environment set up and avoid at all costs working with versions of stuff that will just waste my and everyone else's time.
This is easy in the git/gradle/maven universe. Otherwise it goes in the documentation. If you have another idea I'd love to hear it.
Message 6 of 7

There is nothing that you need to install. Python is delivered as part of Fusion. It's installed in the Fusion folder and is independent of any other installations of Python you might choose to install.

Because most people don't write programs, the VS Code development environment is not installed with Fusion, but the first time you edit a script or add-in, Fusion will automatically install the latest version of VS Code along with the VS Code Python plug-in, so there's nothing you need to do there either. VS Code automatically keeps itself up to date.

So, there's nothing you need to explicitly install or set up.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 7 of 7

Interesting. I already had Visual Studio Code installed along with 3 other versions of Python so I didn't notice all the automatic features. I was already writing some Python code with the idea of using the API.  Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report