Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Parameter Question

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brad.bylls
308 Views, 2 Replies

User Parameter Question

Can components have their own 'User Parameters' ?

I built a small assembly to test a script and noticed that the User Parameters were just in the assembly.

The individual components were all listed under the Model Parameters.

Brad Bylls
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BrianEkins
in reply to: brad.bylls

User parameters exist at the Design level and are shared across all the components of the design.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 3
OceanHydroAU
in reply to: brad.bylls

Hi Brad,

You can set and retrieve arbitrary things by storing/finding them as attributes of whatever parent they make sense for (including a Component)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-84864338-D55F-47DF-95C8-53C5B8813DA7

If you're writing an add-in, you can also add things to the right-click menu - such as a custom handler* that checks the thing-you-right-clicked on to see if it has custom attributes, then allowing the user to see/add/edit them if it does.

* I'm considering writing a general-purpose open-source github-based add-in that lets us easily add little handy features like these (others might be a "center line" like we have a "center rectangle" sketch command, an "export to CSV" for when people right-click on things that makes sense for (splines), easy CSV importing of stuff, and 101 other odds and ends that are "easy to do, except for the unsustainable overhead of putting them easily into a production-quality add-in...").  If you're interested in writing that bit, let me know and I'll spin up the framework (8 months of my work) so you can spend the 10 mins needed to make right-click attribute handling work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report