Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open script editor to edit "Scripts and Add-ins"

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
dewaine50
943 Views, 10 Replies

Unable to open script editor to edit "Scripts and Add-ins"

I ran into yet another problem since fusion switched to Visualstudio. 

Tools > Add-ins > Scripts and Add-ins > Edit

Does not work. It just doesn't do anything. Whereas before, it would launch Spyder and I would be able to troubleshoot right there. Now I can't. Why. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
goyals
in reply to: dewaine50

Please take a look at this solution suggesting a workaround for this problem. Thanks.  Go to Solution.

Shyam Goyal
Sr. Software Dev. Manager
Message 3 of 11
dewaine50
in reply to: goyals

This is such a hassle... Why not just switch everything back to Spyder when everything literally worked. Or at the very least give users the option to do so and not force everyone to switch over without their consent. Change is only good if you give the ability for reversion otherwise it's running workflow. 

Message 4 of 11
dewaine50

This is really confusing and not relevant. I'm not sure what to do it's not there. I'm trying to get the API to open again and it's not opening. What do I do to get it to open in the first place.

Message 5 of 11
goyals

I understand current VSCode integration is not ideal but we are trying to address problems. We are using ptvsd debugger provided by ms python extension for debugging purpose.  This is an issue with the latest python extension installed in VSCode. You need to downgrade the ms-python extension from VScode to lower version 2019.9.34911.

Please refer to the following similar issue API debugger doesn't work after Oct 2019 updateGo to Solution.

Please make sure to close fusion when you are doing this. Also restart VScode once the extension is downgraded. To verify, you can check your directory on Windows “%HOMEPATH%/.vscode/extensions/” on Mac “~/.vscode/extensions/” this directory should contain only one ms-python extension version 2019.9.34911. If it contains another version please delete that folder also in ‘.obsolete’ file if there is an entry for the ms-python extension you should remove it.

May be with next Fusion release the need of this workaround will not be required and issue with new extension will be fixed. Unfortunately going back to Spyder is not an option right now. Thanks.

Shyam Goyal
Message 6 of 11
dewaine50

Who can I email to convince that we need Spyder back as an option?

As an aside, I've done the python downgrade but now I'm completely lost as to how to debug my code. I can't even do basic things like import adsk (it says it can't find the module. This didn't happen in Spyder. Ridiculous.) And my step-in/step-over controls are completely grayed out every time I start a debug session. How do I use this? There's like no visual guide out there.

Message 7 of 11
goyals

If you are able to downgrade to extension ms-python.python-2019.9.34911 by following the steps shown in another video, please take a look at attached video showing how to debug with VSCode. Steps are explained here as well http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-743C88FB-CA3F-44B0-B0B9-FCC378D0D782#Editing

Shyam Goyal
Message 8 of 11
eric.garlic

Hello - did this bug ever get fixed?  After 3 years one would hope so.  I ask because I am experiencing the same issue in 2023.

Message 9 of 11
kandennti
in reply to: eric.garlic

Hi @eric.garlic .

There used to be a problem with the version of the ms-python extension, but recently we have been able to use it without any problems.
(I am using it on Win10)

Perhaps reinstalling Fusion360 might solve the problem, but I cannot guarantee that it will.

Message 10 of 11
eric.garlic
in reply to: kandennti

I've tried a F360 Repair without much improvement.  I will try a fresh install

Message 11 of 11
eric.garlic
in reply to: eric.garlic

Well, I've done a clean install of VScode and a clean install of F360.  On initial attempt to open a script to edit F360 triggers VSCode to open but (1) open an empty text file and (2) itself ends up in a hung state, probably waiting for an intervention that I can not find. 

I am on Windows 10

So I can edit scripts in VScode (like I would any python file) and execute scripts in F360 but there is no tunnel connecting the two.

Any suggestions as to what next to do are most welcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report