Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline organization

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
terryHCEB7
133 Views, 4 Replies

Timeline organization

This may or may not be a viable idea but it seems to make sense to me.

Many of my designs in Fusion have many many components within a single document, and while grouping of features, naming the groups, and coloring of grouped features cleans up the expanse of the the timeline,  I feel there could be better collective organization of the timeline.

When a new component is created it creates a tab on the timeline solely for that elements within that component, then the tab itself could be color coded and named by the user.

Then the tab in the browser would update with a color swatch to match the corresponding tab on the timeline.

Then instead of having to scrub through the timeline to find a specific group, its simply a matter of clicking on the tab for that group. I've created a quick mock up showing to visually show what I mean.

Is this something that could be coded in python as an add on?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BrianEkins
in reply to: terryHCEB7

I don't think doing this with the API is feasible for a couple of reasons. First, the API doesn't have any additional timeline capabilities than what you can do interactively. It's impossible to create new types of nodes with a new behavior.

Second, the timeline is a graphical representation of the compute order of the model. I think, in your case, you might want things grouped together that aren't necessarily adjacent to each other in the timeline. Being aware of the stop node in the timeline to control where features are created will help, but it would be easy to get things scattered around in the timeline that you want grouped. There's also the case where a single feature affects many different components but shows up as a single feature in the timeline, so you would have to choose where to put it arbitrarily. For example, the Fillet feature lets you pick edges from multiple bodies.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 5
terryHCEB7
in reply to: BrianEkins

I don't have much knowledge regarding the API or what is feasible, if its not doable I guess its not doable.

How would making that icon a  larger tab that expands to reveal the commands contained, be so different?

The same as creating a group?

If built and ordered correctly should not all features related to the current component/part be in an adjacent order on the timeline?

I can't speak to how other build their models but I build so each component is 'self contained', using your fillet example a fillet should only be applied to that component under its parent component header.

The fillet feature certainly can include more than one fillet application per icon on the timeline, but using a fillet across several components would make troubleshooting and updating a file less straight forward.

There is a component icon that is already created on the timeline as you make a new component.

Turning that into a 'container on the timeline to encompass the commands the are used to create the solid body under that component structure.

Any way it was simply an idea for what its worth.

Message 4 of 5
BrianEkins
in reply to: terryHCEB7

I think it is a good idea, and I didn't mean for my post to come across as so negative. For people that are careful about building their model, like you, this could work. It's just that Fusion also allows for modeling that would completely break this. Here's another simple example. You've created a component and then several more after that. Now you need to add an additional feature to the first component. Even if I activate the component I want to edit, the new feature is added at the end of the timeline. I also need to move the timeline marker so it's adjacent to the other features in that component before adding the new feature. In many cases, I might also be able to reorder the feature to fix it once I notice the problem.

As far as coloring and renaming the nodes, you're correct that this isn't much more than the current grouping you can do, but as far as I know, this isn't supported internally, and even if it is, it's certainly not supported by the API.

I agree with you that the timeline can be very difficult to navigate, and it would be good to have some solution to help with this. Hopefully, your suggestion starts some more thinking about this issue, and something good comes out of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 5 of 5
terryHCEB7
in reply to: BrianEkins

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I hope there is a call out to users for ideas on improving the timeline.

I feel its become a bottleneck in the pursuit of a smooth and organized work flow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report