Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing components among different projects/designs?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
hithere8
232 Views, 1 Reply

Sharing components among different projects/designs?

Say in Design A I have a bolt component among others;

Now I am working on Design B for a different machine. What is proper workflow to re-use the bolt component from Design A in the current Design B?

What if the bolt for Design B has some different parameters than the bolt in Design A?

It might not be hard to re-create a bolt in Design B, however, imagine that I need to reuse a more complicated component(sub-assembly)?

If it is possible to re-use components among different designs easily, is such workflow supported by API?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
KrisKaplan
in reply to: hithere8

You can share components by inserting the component into your design.  Components can be linked (referenced) into the design if they are in the same project, or they can be copied into the design.  If you want the component to have different parameter values, you would have to copy the component into the design to be able to independently modify it.  Insert link or copy are supported in the API with the Occurrences.addByInsert method.

Kris

Kris Kaplan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report