Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project 3D Geometry in API

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jackmccaffrey96
424 Views, 2 Replies

Project 3D Geometry in API

Currently trying to find a way to project the 3D geometry of a bRepBody within the API (in python) so I can use it as a path in a sweep, I've read some posts on 2D sketch projection but haven't found anything to help with this.

I'm trying to project only the outermost edge of the helix (highlighted in purple) into a sketch, and then use this to create a path. I've previously tried to create a path using the edges of the body but this gives me a path composed of both the inner and outer edges, when I only want the outer edge.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 23.32.52.png 

Can anyone help with this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

You can use the edge directly to create the path for the sweep and there's no need to create a sketch curve.  However, in cases where you need a sketch curve for some reason, you can use the Sketch.include method.  You don't want a projection because that will project the curve onto a plane to create a 2D curve and in this case, you still want the full 3D shape of the edge, which the include provides.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 3

After going back and doing some experimentation I've got it working with the edges now, thanks for the clarification!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report