Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new toolbar Tab UI API - contextual use

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pludikar
409 Views, 2 Replies

new toolbar Tab UI API - contextual use

@jeff_strater 

Hi all,

I applaud the addition of the new toolbarTab UI API  - but, unless I've totally missed something, it feels like it's gone off half cocked.  With great fanfare you elude to the use of the tabbed UI in a contextual mode, although it's not obvious how that is achievable with the new API.  If anyone has any ideas how this can be achieved I'd love to hear.

Ideally you should be able to create an AddIn that behaves just like the sketch mode does in the design workspace.  That is, from the API -

1. determine which tab is currently active,
  2. make the AddIn tab (or any other tab for that matter) visible and active,
  3. restore the previously active tab and switch off visibility of the AddIn tab. 

As far as I've been able to determine most of these capabilities are not presently available in the API, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
goyals
in reply to: pludikar

@pludikar,

None of the API you listed down are available at the moment. We are working on adding some new API on toolbarTab class to allow add-in to create new tab. We can definitely consider to add API to activate and checking whether a particular tab isActive or not similar to same API available on Workspace class. Thank you for suggesting them.

Shyam Goyal
Sr. Software Dev. Manager
Message 3 of 3
pludikar
in reply to: goyals

@goyals 

I do hope that you add the API functionality I've suggested, and quickly. 

At the moment it feels like someone has given me a bright red shiny sports car, only to find that there's no engine or transmission in it.  I would consider this functionality essential to anyone attempting to develop an addIn that's more than just a simple script.  It has the appearance that you guys hadn't considered the use case in any depth.

I would suggest you rewrite the What's new description to take out the contextual aspect, then put it back when you you get that part fully operational.  To say it's misleading as it stands now, would be an understatement

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report