Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch back to Spyder?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
MichaelT_123
1017 Views, 20 Replies

Hi TF360,

... it seems there is no option in the Preferences?

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
JeromeBriot
in reply to: MichaelT_123

Hi Michael,

Spyder is no longer installed with Fusion 360. You have to use VS Code now.

You still can install Spyder (via Anaconda) but it won't interact with Fusion 360 like before.

Message 3 of 21
mema64
in reply to: JeromeBriot

but in "what is new" of sep 27 2019 it says ..."You’ll still have the option to point Fusion 360 to an editor of your preference, but if you don’t have an editor, then you can continue and install Visual Studio Code.", but it doesn't says HOW to point to IDE other then VS Code

Message 4 of 21
JeromeBriot
in reply to: mema64

@mema64 wrote:

it doesn't says HOW to point to IDE other then VS Code

You're right. This sentence can be confusing. But Adam Nagy said previously on his blog:

We are also going to replace the editor from Spyder to VSCode in this release.

Note that Fusion 360 came with an outdated version 2 of Spyder. Version 3 was released 3 years ago and version 4 is now available in beta. More, this was a custom version of Spyder 2 that integrates with Fusion 360. Maybe they lack of resources to support the latest version? Maybe it was easier to maintain only one IDE for both Python and C++?

Message 5 of 21
mema64

lousy justification..  you can't just misstate something.. kind of forced down on mac user unwiling to use MS s..t.. or you just comfortable with Autodesk choice.. either way not really the best choice.. I would NEVER use VS Code over Xcode for C++ coding.. why do I have to learn new IDE.. maybe great for you if already using VS Code.. would prefer choice over IDE as stated in "What's New?" release of sep 27.  if you are going to quote me then don't just pick the piece that suits you

Message 6 of 21
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr Jerome Briot,

Thank you for the clarification. The upgrade to the current version of Python was perhaps well overdue.

As usual in such situations, there will be a requirement put on users to adopt and train in the new clickology and some.

The update caught me in the middle of a business, so it caused some ... mess.

But at the end, it was worth the efforts. BIG PLUS for TF360. I have notices (so far) some slight differences  how scripts performed and after refreshing external packages and cleaning some stains, I feel ... light and fresh

As per your struggle with running external processes on Apple. I have notices that F360 process (win) has changed os privilege ( developers can confirm/deny this) which might/might not be reason of your problem.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 7 of 21
dewaine50

It's been months and we still need Spyder support. I cannot use this VS IDE. I flat out doesn't work. I cannot hit run. It will fail. I do not have terminal feedback like I did spyder. Why couldnt you have just offered a choice? It's ruined my productivity now that I can no longer use the API

Message 8 of 21
itsfull

Working with Spyder was a delight.
After burning bridges, with a lot of pain, I got the debugger working with the 2019 September version of VS IDE.
In the next 6 months I had to reinstall the whole thing a few times to be able to finish coding.
Now, for the last 8 months I can't get the debugger working anymore  at all, killing any production in this field.
A professional application like Fusion 360 should never have to rely on old third party's software.
I'm sure the original intentions were good, but retrospect I can't decide if this junp in a  mudpot has been made out of amateurism or pure buraucratism.

Message 9 of 21
BrianEkins
in reply to: itsfull

There have been changes to the Python support in VS Code in the past year.  Fusion is using all of the latest components.  For the past several months, it's been working great for me to write and debug code.  I have the Microsoft Python extension version 2021.5.926500501 and Pylance version 2021.6.1 installed.  What specific problems are you seeing?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 10 of 21
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr ItsFull,

Spider was a pretty good platform at the time; however, VSCode is a much more powerful and sophisticated tool, offering a development environment that goes far beyond F360 API classroom. Therefore, I think it is worth investing a little bit of energy and getting some proficiency in using it. 

On a side note...

It would be fantastic if TF360 iron out some wrinkles on the interface of the VSCode with F360_API_Code. Based on my personal experiences, installation of some external applications can mess up with VSCode-F360 marriage, thus requiring repeating the engagement procedure… again and again and... which, as usual itsFull of emotions.

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 11 of 21
itsfull

It was a sudden divorce from a good wife, and now Fusion 360 an VS Code have a colourful marriage which doesn't work. There is no parental agreement of any kind so the children can't play. 

Message 12 of 21
itsfull

It was a sudden divorce from a good wife. Now Fusion 360 an VS Code have a colourful marriage which doesn't work. There is no parental agreement of any kind, so the children can't play. 

Message 13 of 21
itsfull
in reply to: BrianEkins

I installed the versions of MS Python extension and Pylance you are using. After restart VS Code will attempt, but does not start from F 360 in both edit and debug mode. Which is different from the Sept. 2019 version mentioned, which did start VS Code. When I go to VS Code manually it shows the same as before when start debugging; the debug console will show for a second and disappear.
Message 14 of 21
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr ItsFull,

I am sorry to hear this,... it was not my intension to bring these memories. Try court the new lady... longer you look at her the more will you like her

All The Best

MichaelT

MichaelT
Message 15 of 21
itsfull

Thanks for the advise. It's okay, I try and manage to survive without parking the pink Cadillac in the garage.

Message 16 of 21
JeromeBriot

Close VS Code and Fusion 360.

Then remove the ms-python.python-XXXX.X.XXXXXX folders located in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.vscode\extensions on Windows or /Users/<USERNAME>/.vscode/extensions on Mac

Open Fusion 360 and try to edit a script.

Message 17 of 21
itsfull

Deleting those old files in .vscode worked great! Not only does VS Code open again, the debugger works as well! 🙂
Thanks a lot for your help!

Message 18 of 21
dewaine50

It's been months and we still don't have Spyder as an in-application option again. Everything is still buggy AF. VS code doesn't have an output to print terminal. Nothing works. Can't import fusion api anywhere. Nothing. Seriously, nothing was wrong with spyder and everything WORKED. Now everything is STILL ruined. I want to revert. Just give me the option. It's infuriating that the old Spyder development environment was just blocked off for no good reason. 

Message 19 of 21
jbevingt6QCR2

Autodesk- this is extremely frustrating. The new editor doesnt even run as installed so now I am having to chase up a chain of broken software. I dont have time for this nor did I want my entire work interface to change. What I had worked! And you wonder why we all hate forced updates.... I would literally pay you double to STOP changing things. 

Message 20 of 21
BrianEkins
in reply to: jbevingt6QCR2

@jbevingt6QCR2, What's not working for you?

If you're reading older posts about things to do to get VS Code working with Fusion, you should ignore all of those because everything seems to have been fixed and VS Code is working great for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report