Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit/add features on existing model using fusion360 to automate tasks?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
zhangyehua1996
203 Views, 2 Replies

How to edit/add features on existing model using fusion360 to automate tasks?

zhangyehua1996_1-1638952814927.png

Hello, 

I have a design (Gray body for example) I want to mass produce by 3d printing. However, I also want to take inputs from customers (Yellow body, variable lengths, fillets, angles, etc). 

Is it possible to write an API to automate such tasks? in another word, I want to modify the existing features using API, maybe taking input as txt/xml file then importing it into the program, finally output modified the STL file.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

You can, not completely, but at least partly get existing features such as extrudes or filets then modify them. However the most logical workflow would be to create a script that makes the solid using the user's input rather than modifying an existing model

Message 3 of 3
j.han97
in reply to: zhangyehua1996

I do not have much experience on this but I guess if your design (grey body for example) is created in Fusion 360, in Parametric design mode (Capture Design History ON), the features information is saved, therefore you should be able to access and edit the existing features. 

Otherwise, it is hard to modify a feature if the feature information is not saved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report