Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw a 3D line and point in a view, without creating a sketch?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mike46YZU
133 Views, 2 Replies

How to draw a 3D line and point in a view, without creating a sketch?

Hi,

I'm developing an add-in that will modify the view orientation on the fly. During coding and debugging, it would be really valuable if I can draw lines and points inside the 3D view, for instance to draw a test coordinate system to see if my transformations are working correctly. These lines/points should not be drawn inside a sketch I recon.

What would be the best approach for this? Any examples?  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BrianEkins
in reply to: mike46YZU

I do this a lot while debugging things like you're working on. You have two choices; a sketch or custom graphics. I've used both, but most often will use a sketch.

If you use a sketch, create a sketch in the root component on the XY Construction plane and this way the sketch coordinate system will match up with the world coordinate system. Using a sketch is easier and also has the advantage that it's selectable and measurable.

Custom graphics are documented here. They take a little more to wrap your head around. Here's a previous reply I made in the forum that has a sample that uses custom graphics to visualize the coordinate system of a sketch.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 3
Jorge_Jaramillo
in reply to: mike46YZU

Hi,

The line and point need to be contained in the component you are rotating, and the right place is in a sketch.

I don't know any other element in the design tree where you can place them.

Why don't you want a sketch for them?

It is easy to create and delete once you make your testing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report