Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 3D Mouse / Dial-Box API

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
bratwiz
232 Views, 0 Replies

Help with 3D Mouse / Dial-Box API

Hello,

I'm not sure where the correct place to post this question, but "API and Scripts" sounds like a good place to start...

I would like to build a 3D input device. The problem that I wish to solve is being better able to control the rotation and view of the part(s) on edit inside the view window. The only way that I am aware of at present is to use the middle mouse button and/or hold SHIFT with the middle mouse button to Pan and Rotate respectively.  (EDIT: I am also aware I can use the right mouse button to Pan if I'm in Sketch mode)

I don't have much problem with the Pan part, but the Rotate control, in a word, sucks rocks! Whenever I go to rotate a part it is such a clumsy and unpredictable process. I find myself heaving over or rolling at some strange angle with little hope of achieving the perspective I was aiming for. Is it really this bad and that's the only way?

I know that such things as Space Mice / 3D Mice and other similar things exist, but they generally clock in starting at about the $100 buck range and quickly move north from there. A Space Mouse (or whatever similar) would probably be okay. I've never used one to know. But I was wondering if I could just rig up a simple Dial-box (Knob-box) instead like in the good ole days??

Does anybody know what is required protocol-wise? I presume I would have to build some sort of "haptic" device-- which I could easily do with an Arduino or something. But I'm not sure what protocol / data I should send to achieve my goal.

Thanks for any help or insight.

John Whitten

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report