Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Update to Reflect User Parameter Change

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
maroto77
188 Views, 1 Reply

Feature Update to Reflect User Parameter Change

fs__01.jpg

Hello,
I have this parametric design (please, just focus in center portion- sides needs rework) that needs to allow to change vertical lines (features) dynamically. in this case I started with 6 lines.

my issue is whenever I change number of vertical lines it beakes the design (image FS__02)....
1- The sketch is fine (image FS__03), but I need to,
2- update the extrude feature to reflect the change(image FS__04)

my question:
what I'm doing wrong here, is there a better technique to approach this?
would it be possible/better to have a script tho help in this case?

( a script that would select (or assist the selection) the faces to extrude based on user parameters )

could someone help me to figure this out?
thanks
Sergio 

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
OceanHydroAU
in reply to: maroto77

Yes - you probably need to pattern the FEATURE that creates the lines, not the lines themselves.

i.e. click on the operation (in the timeline at the bottom of the screen - those things are called "features") and then click on "rectangular pattern" or whatever to create the operation that makes the lines (using a paramater for the number - e.g. numlines=6).

Tricks to keep in mind - you cannot have zero lengths - so if you're planning on paramater changes that might cause that, first start by mvoing something a fixed distance somewhere (e.g. 1cm left), then end by adding your desired distance to it (e.g. MyDistance+1cm right) - becasue zero breaks it, but zero+1cm is not zero, so works...

I should do a tutorial on this stuff - it's a major black-art, but is amazing when it works 🙂

Check out the number of studs on the back of this baby:-

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.38.25 pm.png

Fully parametric!!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 4.37.46 pm.png

(Note how I also "cut" away the unwanted half-studs around the perimiter as well - that's a week of effort right there...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report