Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request: MeshBodies.add(Graphics.Mesh)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ross.korsky
219 Views, 1 Reply

Feature request: MeshBodies.add(Graphics.Mesh)

Custom graphics looks promising and I'm sure it'll be useful as-is (although I haven't exercised its performance yet) but....

How amazing it would be if i could make a graphics mesh then make a new MeshBody from that mesh! This would be very useful for shapes which are mathematically expressible but are difficult/impossible to create via sketching, etc.

The feature request is to allow MeshBodies.add to take a CustomGraphicsMesh as an argument. Extra points if the normal data isn't lost in the process.

Really what I'd truly want is a way to go from a mesh to a b-rep body or otherwise directly create a body via a script that can be modified just like any other body.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ekinsb
in reply to: ross.korsky

I thought that there might already be a solution to do what you want but after checking I found that the MeshBodies object only supports the creation of a new body by specifying a an stl or obj file so it's not currently possible without quite a bit of work on your side.  I've added an item into our backlog to support the creation of a new mesh body by specifying all of the mesh information.  I think this is a better, more general solution than creating it directly from a custom graphics mesh.  You can get the needed input easily from a graphics mesh, but it will also allow you to create a new mesh body with mesh information coming from anywhere.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report