Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogbone addin update

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pludikar
720 Views, 4 Replies

Dogbone addin update

For anyone interested: the dogbone addin originally created by Casey Rogers has now been significantly updated by myself and @DVE2000 and is available on github - here

The addin includes 3 dogbone styles (normal, minimal and mortise) and allows dogbones to be cut from either the topface or selected face.  Both static and parametric options are available - however due to a number of bugs in F360, parametric will fail on mirrored components and some component copies.  These bugs have been reported (see here), but as of writing AD has not addressed them.

The interface has been improved, and specifically allows any face orientation to be chosen on any component.  The addin is based on the f360 primitive hole feature, and is as efficient as f360 single threaded engine allows.  In Static mode it will create 70 dogbones in about 7 seconds.  Parametric mode takes a little longer to calculate initially, but recalculates very fast if you change your model parameters.

regards

peter

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
beau.turner
in reply to: pludikar

Is there a way to use this for sketches? ie quick and dirty 2d paths for CNC use

Message 3 of 5
pludikar
in reply to: beau.turner

Hi @beau.turner 

Unfortunately the add-in isn’t going to help you much. The problem is that the API related to sketching invokes a huge, and unreasonable overhead, which would make the add-in so sluggish that no-one would want to use it.  The original version of the add-in did use sketch, but it was quickly taken out by follow on versions - citing speed as the reason.

Do you have a lot of dogbones to add?

If you have just a handful, it isn’t too onerous to do it manually, and it can be done reasonably quickly and easily.

However, if you have more than half a dozen or so, I can see why you’d want to automate it.

If you’re interested in doing it manually, the easiest way I’ve found is:

1. Draw a circle
  2. Dimension the circle diameter to the tool diameter
  3.  Make the corner you want dogboned coincident with the circle.
  4. Draw a line from the circle center to one edge, and make line perpendicular to edge ( check - line end points should be coincident with both center and edge line)
  5. Do the same again, but from center to other edge.
  6. make the two center lines you just created equal

You can then trim the unwanted part of the circle.

That will take around half a minute per dogbone, possibly quicker as you get used to it - see screencast.

I hope that helps

Regards

Peter

Screencast will be displayed here after you click Post.

93498ce8-6d66-4adb-88b3-6eea85e02800

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).
Message 4 of 5
jodom4
in reply to: pludikar

!THANK YOU!

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 5 of 5

Holy smokes, you killed it!  Amazing job.  Thank you for doing this.  Sincerely. It works soooooo much better.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report