Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a digitalsignature

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
brad.bylls
177 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a digitalsignature

Hello all,

I have finished my project thanks again to all of you that helped.

It has been submitted to the app store and a installer package was made.

In testing it I get this error message because it has not been digitally signed.

Untitled.png

I have done research on line but it seems very confusing and complicated to get this done.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an easy to follow step by step solution?

Many thanks and appreciation.

Brad Bylls
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BrianEkins
in reply to: brad.bylls

You're correct that the process is confusing.  It's also different between Windows and Mac because Apple has its own system.  In the end, you are given a signing certificate (file) that is unique to you that you can use as input to a tool to sign the installer.  This identifies to the OS who the developer of the app is and that the code has not been altered since it was signed.

To get the certificate you'll need to be vetted by one of the companies that can generate the certificates and you'll need to pay for it. I found this link useful, although the specifics about the companies is dated.  I don't believe Tucows is an option anymore.  The one I use because it was the cheapest and one I was sure was legitimate is Comodo.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 5
brad.bylls
in reply to: BrianEkins

Thanks Brian.

Didn't know there would be a cost involved.

You would think Microsoft would have that available since they are the ones blocking it.

Brad Bylls
Message 4 of 5
BrianEkins
in reply to: brad.bylls

This is the same as all security-related stuff we all have to mess with. The bad actions of a few cause a big pain in the butt for everyone else.

I found a good overview of code signing on Wikipedia. I understand your frustration with this because I've gone through it too. I guess I've come to accept it and better understand what's going on. You'll see in the Wikipedia topic that there are certificate authorities (CA) that create the certificates and then OS's, frameworks, and companies can use these certificates to provide some security. Microsoft is the OS side of this and not a CA.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 5 of 5
brad.bylls
in reply to: BrianEkins

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate all of your help during these two years of creating my add-in.

Brad Bylls

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report