Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit script file from Fusion 360

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
yamamoto.mas
386 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot edit script file from Fusion 360

I have renewed my PC and installed Fusion 360.

I also copied my scipts from old PC and can use them now.

But when I try to edit them (attached jpg file), 

* For the first time, Fusion automatically installed Visual Studio Code.

* Later, when I try to edit a script, Fusion just stay silent and nothing happens.

How can I fix this situation.

I can edit my script from Visual Studio Code manual in Windows, 

but I'm afraid that I cannot use debugger in conjunction with Fusion 360.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@yamamoto.mas sorry to hear about the issue. Can you help with the below points to understand the case?

1. What is the Fusion build number? and Fusion language being used?
  2. Is the case observed only for the copied scripts or newly created ones as well?

You could also try

• Close Fusion and VS code.
  • Delete all the ms-python.python-xxxx folders present under C:\Users\Username\.vscode\extensions. Rushikeshkadam_0-1651491044662.png

These files are generated when VS code is launched from Fusion. 
  • Launch Fusion and create a new script and edit it.

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my reply was helpful, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. It helps others get the answer quickly! A "Like" is always welcomed.

Rushikesh Kadam
Senior QA Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for reply.

@Rushikesh.kadam さんは書きました:

@yamamoto.mas sorry to hear about the issue. Can you help with the below points to understand the case?

1. What is the Fusion build number? and Fusion language being used?
  2. Is the case observed only for the copied scripts or newly created ones as well?

Fusion build number is:

アクティブなプラン: Fusion 360、サブスクリプション
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 x86_64 (19043.1645)

I have tested newly created scripts like the picture attached.

* I can execute it ('Hello script' message is shown)

* I can not edit it (Fusion stays silent)

You could also try

• Close Fusion and VS code.
  • Delete all the ms-python.python-xxxx folders present under C:\Users\Username\.vscode\extensions. Rushikeshkadam_0-1651491044662.png

These files are generated when VS code is launched from Fusion. 
  • Launch Fusion and create a new script and edit it.

Surprisingly, there is no files in that folder, as shown in the second picture.

Masaki Yamamoto

Message 4 of 5

Sounds like a similar problem to what was happening to me: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-api-and-scripts/script-quot-edit-quot-button-broken-on-lat...

This seems to be difficult to replicate. The only real solution I've found so far is to run "Repair Fusion" from the Fusion 360 Service Utility. I've done everything possible, down to purging the applications Fusion and VS Code, as well as cleaning as many config/data directories as possible. 

I had also opened a service ticket, which was closed because this couldn't be replicated, so I think it's some type of system specific issue. 

Message 5 of 5

Thanks chirs,

This seems to be difficult to replicate. The only real solution I've found so far is to run "Repair Fusion" from the Fusion 360 Service Utility. I've done everything possible, down to purging the applications Fusion and VS Code, as well as cleaning as many config/data directories as possible. 

I've just tried "Repair Fusion" without any success.

I'm afraid my PC is for the company's use, so I have to prepare my personal PC to work on the function.

Masaki Yamamoto 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report