Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Fusion from Command line with python script argument?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
onlyjus
1017 Views, 3 Replies

Call Fusion from Command line with python script argument?

Is it possible to launch Fusion from the command prompt and pass it an argument to run a python script? Something like:

> fusion -script box.py

If not, I think it would be awesome to add this feature.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ekinsb
in reply to: onlyjus

This is not currently possible.  There will be support for add-ins in the near future, which is essentially a script that runs automatically whenever Fusion is started.  That might be another and possibly better solution for whatever you're trying to do.

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 4
onlyjus
in reply to: ekinsb

So what I was think was writing a program that called Fusion and automatically starts a python script that opens a socket. Then send information to Fusion through that socket. That way I could drive Fusion from another program and not be restricted by the Fusion environment.

I was thinking about this mainly so that I could use a Python program using Qt in a separate Python instance (using my local Python install with all the libraries and not have a Qt conflict) send the commands through the socket to a "translator" script running in Fusion.

You could do this now, just need to open Fusion manually and start the script.

This could even be opened up to a server running in Fusion on one machine receiving inputs from multiple other machines/devices/etc.

Message 4 of 4
1141411BM6M6
in reply to: onlyjus

Hi onlyjus

Have you found a way to do this?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report