Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch exporter for bringing Assembly and joints into Blender

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
valuecnc
268 Views, 2 Replies

Batch exporter for bringing Assembly and joints into Blender

I want an automatic way to bring my Fusion Assembly, complete with joints, into Blender. I realize this would be technically challenging, but perhaps someone with experience in both Fusion API and Blender API could suggest possible approaches? An early example would not need to be able to copy over all the joint types, perhaps rigid, rotational, slider and cylindrical for starters? In my project, I have a cable chain assembly that is bogging the system down (understandably, with so many joints present in it). If I could bring it into blender, I could make a nice animation without taxing the engine, etc. And if I could do this using some kind of batch-converter, that would represent a serious leap in Fusion's value proposition as the basis for animating and simulating mechanical systems like mechanisms, machines, gearboxes, etc, you get the gist.

I guess one would begin with an understanding of the joint primitives of each, and try to find the common denominators, if there are any.

One would also have to deal with opening each component and mapping the joint locations and orientation into the Blender equivalent, assuming such could be found.

My Fusion 360 DIY Cable Chain Model, A360

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekinsb
in reply to: valuecnc

It sounds like an interesting project.  I would guess that there's enough API to get what you need out of Fusion.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about Blender so I can't comment on whether there's a reasonable match in methodology so that it's possible to do a translation.  I would hope so but I don't know.  It would be a fun thing to investigate and work on though.  We all just need more time. Smiley Happy

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 3
valuecnc
in reply to: ekinsb

Agreed. I just started doing tutorials to learn the API myself, and I can appreciate its complexity more. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report