Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically create new component when starting a new file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
alexhardie
458 Views, 5 Replies

Automatically create new component when starting a new file

Hi, I asked about doing this in another forum and I was told to come here.  I often forget to start a new component when starting a new design.  This means that any other component I create is a sub component of the original.  Is there a way to make it so a new component is automatically created when a new design file is started?

Thanks,

-Alex

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
goyals
in reply to: alexhardie

Hi Alex,

When a new design is started, there is already a component which is root component of the design and named as "Unsaved" by default. When document is saved, this root component is renamed as the name of document. Is it not what you intended?

Regards,

Shyam Goyal

Shyam Goyal
Sr. Software Dev. Manager
Message 3 of 6
alexhardie
in reply to: goyals

I would like to by default have a sub component created.  In the case that I later want to turn my part into a assembly of parts, it works better if each subsequent part is not a sub component of the original part, but rather all the components are sub components of the top level component.  Somewhere there's a tutorial on fusion 360 that says you should always create a new component right away so you don't run into this issue.  For instance, if I create truck wheel, then later i decide to create the truck, the truck would be a sub component of the wheel unless I remembered to create a new component first.  I could always create a component from a body, but then it doesn't work as well with the design history.  I think every new part file should be assume that it will someday be an assembly.  Let me know if I'm missing something.

Message 4 of 6
goyals

May be I can pass this to concern team so they can evaluate this requirement. One idea might be just to add a preference setting which is default to the current behaviour and if a particular user always want to start a new design with Sub-component then it is allowed by setting it in preferences.

Shyam Goyal
Sr. Software Dev. Manager
Message 5 of 6
Igorva

interesting idea!

Message 6 of 6
alexhardie
in reply to: goyals

Another idea could be to allow the designer to bump the top level "parent" component down one level so "sibling" components can be created.  Or allow sibling components at the top level.  I think this idea has come up in the past, so maybe there's a good reason it hasn't been implemented.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report