Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are material library categories accessible through API?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nnikbin
745 Views, 4 Replies

Are material library categories accessible through API?

I was not able to find any relevant property in any object.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OceanHydroAU
in reply to: nnikbin

Depending on what you're trying to do - you can find and run native commands as described here: https://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/page/11/

Maybe accessing material commands might work for you?  If not, maybe running those commands inside VSCode debugger might let you trace into them to find out how to access what you need directly?

Message 3 of 5
BrianEkins
in reply to: OceanHydroAU

I know with Inventor, and I believe it is the same with Fusion, that material categories don't exist as something on their own. Each material has a property with the category name and then the UI creates the listing by grouping the materials together based on the value of this property. I just did some testing with the properties that are exposed for a Fusion material and I'm not finding a property that matches with the category it's being shown under. So either this is a different type of property that's not exposed through the API or Fusion is doing something different and again, this isn't exposed to the API. Either way, it looks like you don't have access to the categories shown in the materials dialog.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 4 of 5
nnikbin
in reply to: BrianEkins

Hi @BrianEkins 

Thank you for your informative reply.

Message 5 of 5
nnikbin
in reply to: OceanHydroAU

Hi @OceanHydroAU 

Thank you for your suggestion. I did not find anything that I can use to retrive the list of material categories.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report