Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API mesh saveAs

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bogdano437
419 Views, 5 Replies

API mesh saveAs

Hi.

I am searching a way to automate the export of every component to a obj file.

With the help of numerous exmples from here the workflow: "Create base feature" ==> Brep to mesh ==> rename mesh objects, is covered. I am really stuck at the step to exporte them. In the GUI there is the option "right click, save as OBJ". Is any way of doing that with the help of tha API/Python ?

Thank you.

Tags (4)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BrianEkins
in reply to: bogdano437

This capability is not currently exposed through the API.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 6
bogdano437
in reply to: BrianEkins

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. The same goes for the option to export via cloud (File // Export)?

Message 4 of 6
scott_melter

Hi @BrianEkins , are you able to shed any light on whether this capability is behind a pay-wall or if it could be developed?

I'm at the start of a job that looks as though I will be needing to generate thousands of components, some of which are made up of mutliple mesh bodies. The name of each body is critical to the pipeline, and exporting as .OBJ is preferred so that the individual meshes inside each file will retain their unique name.
I thought exporting 3MF or FBX could be a solve, but neither of these are exposed through the API either (also requires cloud translation).

The best I seem to be able to do is create USDZ files which do retain their unique mesh body names when opened in other programs....but I can't open these in fusion360 which isn't the worst as I have the original F3D still, but it isn't ideal either....

Even if you have a better place I can direct this question...  would really appreciate your insight.

Message 5 of 6
BrianEkins
in reply to: scott_melter

It exists in Fusion but just has not yet been exposed through the API. A lot of work has been going on with the API, so hopefully, this might be available soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 6 of 6
scott_melter

@BrianEkins thanks for your response, appreciate your time. I really hope they enable this functionality soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report