Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation of multiple object moves via CSV using python API

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
daveswan
321 Views, 2 Replies

Animation of multiple object moves via CSV using python API

Hi,

I have generated a csv file with ObjectID,Time,X_Pos,Y_Pos,Z_Pos which tracks the position of multiple objects every 5 seconds.

I have a fusion model with all these Objects positioned at a start position.

I'm trying to find a way to import this csv file into fusion and create the animation of the objects based on this input data. I'm not a great Python user but hoping that I can find some help and also hoping that this is actually possible in Fusion 360 because the application is so easy to do the designing.  

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BrianEkins
in reply to: daveswan

This is certainly possible and would be a great program to start with to learn Python and the Fusion API.  Here's how I would suggest going about getting started.

1. Learn how to read the csv file.  Python has a built-in library to help with reading csv files. If you're not familiar with Python at all there is a lot of online learning material.  Python.org is a good place to start but also using google to search for specific things is very useful.  For example, when search for examples of how to use the csv library you'll find slightly larger programs that demonstrate using more of Python than just that library.
  2. Learn about the assembly structure of Fusion and how to manipulate occurrences in a design.  I presented a paper at Autodesk University several years ago that I've attached.  You can also watch the video of the presentation but it only shows what was on the screen and I used a lot of props so you won't get everything.

Next, it's putting that all together to create the workflow you want.  Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Website/Blog: https://EkinsSolutions.com
Message 3 of 3
daveswan
in reply to: BrianEkins

Hi Brian, thats cool. Thanks will try.  

In the interim I ended up managing this trick with Blender but with parts created in Fusion.

Will see if I can get it all in Fusion. Watching an animation with 20,000 objects flying around based on the simulation data is so cool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report