Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new parameters in addition to existing one's to components

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
saisivaram94
373 Views, 2 Replies

Adding new parameters in addition to existing one's to components

Hi everyone!

Right clicking on a component and going to properties gives us certain information about the component's weight, volume, material etc. When we run the BOM script, it gives us some information such as all the components present in the design, total no. of instances of each component and it's volume. These I know.

What I want to know is, is there any way by which I can add new parameters to each component that I use in my design?

For example, I want to add a cost parameter to each component and it's Manufacturer/Supplier. Further, I want my custom BOM script to show these two parameters and do away with the volume tab. The latter is pretty straight froward. But since the script sources all it's information from the design, I need to first add these details indiviually to the components that I use in the design, and I don't know how to do that.

I am not even a month into CAD design and Fusion 360 is the only CAD software I have ever used. Since I will be sourcing components from multiple vendors, I want to have an accurate and detailed information about all the components that use in my designs before narrowing down to a final design. I would greatly appreciate any help from this community. Is what I want to do even possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekinsb
in reply to: saisivaram94

Fusion has a small set of predefined properties that are associated with a component.  However, you can work around this using the API.  You should read the section in the API help on attributes.  These allow you to add any information you want to any entity within Fusion, including components.  Your custom BOM application can then read these to include in the BOM.  You also might want to reconsider whether you add pricing as an attribute or not.  You certainly can, but pricing tends to be something that is fairly dynamic and if you save it with the part it makes it more difficult to update and keep up to date.  An alternative would be to maintain a file that contains a list of parts and prices.  The custom BOM application could read this file to get the pricing and if any pricing changes you just need to update that one file.    

Brian Ekins
Inventor and Fusion 360 API Expert
Mod the Machine blog
Message 3 of 3
saisivaram94
in reply to: ekinsb

Yes, I got it.

Thank you so much Sir. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report