Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis converter

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
daniel_lyall
465 Views, 11 Replies

4th axis converter

can some nice person do a wrapper for 4th axis work in fusion you get them now from other places on the net for free to $00.

it would be good if fusion had one of these type of addon`s. to 4th axis work is added in to fusion you can do it with notepad converting Y to A or X to A on something that is flat it works ok but a addon would be better

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
marshaltu
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hello,

Could you please explain what's 4th axis work? I googled it and found it was a concept in CNC machine. We would like to understand what you want and estimate if current APIs meet your requirements?

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12
daniel_lyall
in reply to: marshaltu

A axis is the 4th axis on any cnc machine there is nothing that meets the needs of user`s at all yet.

read this page http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2013/04/08/cnc-4th-axis-introduction/ 

4th Axis “Wrap” Machining or “Wrapping”

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 4 of 12
skrubol

4th axis wrapping is generally used for engraving or milling something onto the surface of a cylinder.  Your model and CAM would be for a flat surface, but you would wrap the X or Y axis around the cylinder (A or C axis.)

Message 5 of 12
daniel_lyall
in reply to: skrubol

that`s what in the blog post it can be non round as well vectric have had it for years thay have a built in converter where you draw on a flat that is the size of the round object being done but you can start with squire stock. 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 6 of 12
daniel_lyall

hard basket

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 7 of 12
marshaltu

Hello,

The API to support your requirement isn't probably available yet. I would recommend you log your requirement to our ideastation with more detailed information. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/idb-p/125/tab/most-recent

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
daniel_lyall
in reply to: marshaltu

it`s all ready been done thanks for the reply

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 12

I think you could do what you want in a post processor. You would need to input the diameter as a property when you post then use that to scale\convert the X or Y axis to degrees. I made a post for another CAM system like this years ago. You might want to put a request on the CAM forum.

Capture.PNG

Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

sounds like a good idea I might ask

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 11 of 12

I have some thoughts on how you might want to go about this. Using a 50mm diameter 50mm long cylinder as an example. I'd set up a file to draw the cylinders surface as a flat rectangle like this.

Capture.PNG

You can use the 157.08 in the post processor to scale the Y axis to an angle. To convert the distance along the Y axis to an angle you need to divide 360 by 157.08 so 360/157.08 = 2.2918311. In the post you'd multiply the distance along the Y by 2.2918311 to give you the angle. In the post you need to make sure you have a move to Y0.0 as the first move then all the rest of the Y moves you'd replace the Y with A and scale the value by multiplying by 2.2918311. I can't remember how arcs work with 4 axis, would the J value also always be 0.

Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

that is prety much how V carve pro does it. I dont use I and J moves with fusion the pp I use`s puts out R. it does not worry me to much if and when this happens I still can use V carve pro, what I have to use for V carve anyway. but I will post this over in the cam form anyway it cant hurt to try.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report