Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL to DWG conversion

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
vsator
31358 Views, 10 Replies

STL to DWG conversion

Hi guys,

wanted to know if there's a STL to DWG converter. If yes, then which one works for you? Can you provide a link?

I'm using a HP Omen/Windows 10

Thx in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: vsator

Why would you want to convert a .stl into a DWG file ?

Peter Doering
Message 3 of 11
vsator
in reply to: TrippyLighting

The company I'm working with can only use DWG or STEP-format and I can only create my designs with Fusion 360.

Message 4 of 11
TrippyLighting

If you create a design in Fusion 360 with the native tools you can directly export it as a STEP file.

While STEP files can also continue meshes more commonly they continue BRep and NURBS data.

Exporting a .stl is really the biggest disservice you can do to someone using another CAD system, unless of course the challenge is how to send them the least usable 3D data 😉

.stl files are really only triangulated mesh files and suffer from a lack of precision (fixed resolution)  and lack of topology present in real CAD data.

Peter Doering
Message 5 of 11
vsator
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Alright thank you, I've somehow not considered the export options at all.

Message 6 of 11
ahhsks

I’d like to know how to convert tal to dwg as well. Why?

I have stl files that I no longer have dwg files for. 

I receive files that are converted from CT scans (DICOM) and the converting shop can’t export to dwg. 

Message 7 of 11
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: ahhsks

@ahhsks wrote:

I’d like to know how to convert tal to dwg as well. Why?

I have stl files that I no longer have dwg files for. 

I receive files that are converted from CT scans (DICOM) and the converting shop can’t export to dwg. 

You should have started a new thread as your problem description is really a different problem (the OP should save as STEP rather than stl).

In your case you have a scanned stl that you need to convert.

Can you zip an Attach example stl file that you would like to convert to dwg?

Message 8 of 11
ahhsks
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

His post title is: “STL to DWG Conversion” .

Seems silly to start a new post with the exact same title, I always thought that was bad form, and invariably someone would comment “did you search?”. I did search, and found his post.

Also his  initial question, directly related to the post title, is my exact question, I couldn’t have asked better myself, so I didn’t. The initial question has not been answered btw. Yada yada: hence my “bumping it to the top” if you will.

As far as uploading an STL, are there differences? I have a 3DBenchy the boat STL file here if you think it would help you?

Message 9 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

@ahhsks wrote:

1. His post title is: “STL to DWG Conversion” . 

1a. Also his  initial question, directly related to the post title, is my exact question, .

2. The initial question has not been answered btw. Yada yada: hence my “bumping it to the

3. if you think it would help you?

1. Ah but reading the thread it turns out that the OP was going down the wrong track.

1a. Yes, but better forum form is to start a new thread and provide link to reference topics. (especially since this topic had been marked solved and on top of that the OP was going down the wrong track).

2. The initial question turned out to not be the "correct" question to be asking, and in any case - the question had been marked as solved. 

3. I don't need help converting stl files to dwg.

4. Technically  - you have posted to the wrong forum, your question should be posted over here in this forum.

I'm just here to help, I think we are getting off track to solving the stl to dwg problem.

Message 10 of 11
ahhsks
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Ok thanks for your help, I'll try and find a solution elsewhere.

Message 11 of 11
pmbouvier

Seems you can just export the stl to dwg...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report