Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still freezing/crashing with file actions such as STL export

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
richgain
1008 Views, 9 Replies

Still freezing/crashing with file actions such as STL export

I am making good progress but not quite out of the woods yet. The latest update (May 2020) has solved many of my problems with Fusion 360 crashing (no clear explanation of why though). However, there are still certain actions relating to file browsing that cause the program to freeze and then crash. I have been able to import an STL, convert the mesh to Brep, change the size of a hole and save the project.

But now I am unable to export the STL because the program crashes every time I try to do this.

This is not the only time the crash happens; uploading a .step file, attempting to delete a file and other file-based actions have all caused the error.

Richard Gain

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jeff_strater
in reply to: richgain

can you share that model here?  Note that "not responding" is not the same as "crashing".  Sometimes operations can take some time to complete, but operating systems are overly aggressive in bringing up the "not responding" dialog.  If you just let this run a while, does it complete?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 10
richgain
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hi Jeff,

Yes, of course, but I'm pretty sure it's not the model. I can open the model and export the STL perfectly via the web app and on another computer. There is some more deep-seated issue on the PC that we have been trying to sort out for a couple of weeks (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/fusion-360-now-freezing-and-crashing-every-time/td...). None of the actions I took, which mainly involved trying different settings and uninstalling and reinstalling different drivers, made any difference at all, and then with the latest Fusion 360 update many of the problems just disappeared, making the program at least usable again. This remaining problem was also present before but has not yet been fixed by the last software update.

I have recorded two short Screencasts on different machines to show what happens.

Laptop - this works fine

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/50b8d2e3-8bf9-4c2b-b627-5c2cc1c9f1ce

PC - this has the problem

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/e07715e1-4c18-44d4-bf7e-e1631ba594b7

Model file

https://a360.co/3dHCtxX 

Cheers,

Richard

Message 4 of 10
jeff_strater

OK, thanks.  Yes, the model is fine here, and exports quickly.  I will let you continue your discussions on the other thread, as there are already folks involved there.  I just wanted to make sure that there was not a general STL export problem here, and there does not seem to be.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 10
Shane.savage
in reply to: jeff_strater

I'm constently having this issue, this will be the third time i've had to reinstall then we will have the issues later. Mind you this has happend won three different files i've tried to export. 

Message 6 of 10
HughesTooling

@richgain  There is a very old bug that looks like what you're seeing. It happens if you've opened\saved to a drive or directory that's no longer available and affects all imports and exports from Fusion that use a windows open\save dialog. Do you see the same problem with Insert DXF for example?

There is a workaround\fix for this problem in this post.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

I reinstalled and left it as default save directory “Downloads” if I change that to say desktop that’s when it screws all up. Frustrating if I change that directory without thinking as the only way to fix is fresh install.
Message 8 of 10

@Shane.savage  Your problem sounds different, you are getting as far as the Save dialog. The problem I mentioned above crashes Fusion before you get that far.

What you can try is change you view in the save dialog to list. There was a recent bug that caused Fusion to crash if you had a windows extension that gave you a preview of STL files. This should be fixed in V2.0.100032.

HughesTooling_0-1619254119750.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

@Shane.savage  This post has a good explanation of the thumbnail preview problem that sounds similar to what you're seeing.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

That makes a lot more sense, I was playing around with three different Programs for my resin printer. I will uninstall the other two. Thanks for the help everyone 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report