Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserted component causing Fusion 360 to stop responding when opening specific project files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jddubbs
504 Views, 4 Replies

inserted component causing Fusion 360 to stop responding when opening specific project files

Hello,

I'm having trouble opening three design files: one main file and two files derivative of this main file.  Whenever I try to open either of these files, Fusion 360 stops responding.  There is no error message.  Fusion just hangs and the files never open.  This is exceedingly problematic as these design files are central to an ongoing research project.  Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the problem is with a specific component that was inserted into the main file many versions ago.  The current version of the main design file is v129.   I can open the version of this main file before the problematic component insertion (v84), but I cannot open any version of this file after the component insertion (v85 to current).  Nor can I open any version of the two derivative files, both of which use versions of the main file after v85.

This problematic component is no longer necessary in any of the files, and no geometry in any of these files directly depends on it.  I can open this problematic component's design file just fine.  I simplified it, in a effort to facilitate opening the files using it.  But without being able to open the main files, I can't update the version of the problematic component to the newer simplified version. 

I would just delete this problematic component from all of the files into which it's been inserted if any of these files would open.

I can view all files (all versions) on A360, which is how I honed in on this problematic component.  It's puzzling that this problematic component wasn't causing any problems with many iterations of the main file (v85-v129) and its derivatives (all versions) for months until now.

Has anyone run into similar issues?  Is there any way to remove a component from a design file that will not open? 

I've tried the clean uninstall and reinstall Fusion 360.  Both myself and a collaborator have also tried to open these file on multiple different computers (windows and mac) with no success.  I've additionally tried to download a .f3z file and the open this, but had not success either.

Please find diagnostic log attached, and here is a link to the main design file: https://a360.co/2I2y91l (I can share password in private message.)

Thank you in advance!  I'd greatly appreciate any help to save about a year of design work!

Fusion 360 v 2.0.9006

mac os 10.15.6 and windows 7

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rishabh.bisht
in reply to: jddubbs

Hi @jddubbs,

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with Fusion. Can you please share the password with me along with the name of the problematic component (if you remember)? 

Rishabh Bisht
Product Owner

Message 3 of 5

Hi @jddubbs , thanks for sharing the details. I've raised a ticket for the development to take a look at this issue.
I will get back to you once I have an update. Thanks for your patience. 

(internal reference : FUS-73093)

Rishabh Bisht
Product Owner

Message 4 of 5

Hi @jddubbs,

Thanks for sending us the data. We've identified that there is an issue when opening certain older assembly files (that were last saved using the Fusion build from Jan/Feb 2019). While we investigate that in more detail, for now, here are some easy steps to fix the data set:

1. Open the assembly "apparatus" in Fusion 360
  2. Let the files get downloaded to your machine, and after some time, when it looks like Fusion is hung, force quit (kill) the process
  3. Navigate to Fusion's cloud cache folder: C:\Users\<your Win ID>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\<12 chars cloud ID>\W.login\F on Windows. On Mac, it'll be: /Users/<userid>/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<12 chars cloud ID/W.Login/F/
  4. Search for a file which contains the name W64housing_easyConnect*.f3d
  5. Open the f3d file using your favorite zip editor - 7-zip works great (download from here: https://www.7-zip.org/download.html)
  6. Delete the sub-folder "Animation" from the f3d file and close (it'll save the file automatically)
  7. Now do the same steps 3-6 on the W64housing_easyConnect*.f3d file in the _XRef_ sub-folder
  8. Reopen the assembly again - this should work
  9. Run Get Latest on W64housing_easyConnect
  10. Save the assembly and close
  11. Delete all files from your cloud cache folder

After this, the assembly should open without any issues. Note that even though we're deleting the Animation data from the part file, it'll still be present in the cloud, so when you open/download the file, the Animation data should come back fine

Let us know if you encounter any issues. If needed, we can repair the file for you. Just let us know

Thanks and regards

Ahsan Ali
Fusion Senior Software Architect
Message 5 of 5
jddubbs
in reply to: ahsan.autodesk

Hi @ahsan.autodesk 

Thank you for your response!  I followed your directions, and that solved the problem!

Thanks again!

Be well,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report