Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 does not run on Ryzen Hackintosh since last update.

68 REPLIES 68
SOLVED
Message 1 of 69
GroovyDrifter
7064 Views, 68 Replies

Fusion 360 does not run on Ryzen Hackintosh since last update.

I know, I know, it is not supposed to run there, that same computer also boots Windows and there it runs fine, I just have to reboot the computer and problem solved, just wanted to let you know in case there is a simple way to fix it without degrading performance, or something I can do in my computer to make it run. I'm setting up NAS servers in FreeBSD and it's just easier in MacOS, my real MacPro is just too heavy to carry everywere.

68 REPLIES 68
Message 2 of 69
hmaleville
in reply to: GroovyDrifter

Can you detail the behaviour you have from the App? I've also a Ryzen machine and it stopped working with SEG FAULT after each attempt. I've tried to uninstall/clean/reinstall to no avail....

Message 3 of 69

Yes, of course; when I try to open the program it closes immediately and requests permission to send the crash to Apple, from that info got this:

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffedfc53ff8
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [1895]

I've also tried a clean reinstall but no, it still crashes the same. On Intel Hackintosh and real Macs it does work ok, so I think last version may have some compilation optimizations for Intel that were not done before.

I can't remember which version Opencore I'm running but it is not a recent one (if it works, do not touch it).

Message 4 of 69

@GroovyDrifter, you can try overriding the OpenGL renderer used when starting Fusion 360 with an environment variable via the Terminal command below, where variable would be replaced with angle (default), desktop (hardware GPU driver), or software (CPU):

export QT_OPENGL=variable && open ~/Applications/Autodesk\ Fusion\ 360.app

If desktop or software work, you can make this variable permanent, but please know it may affect other Qt-based applications.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 5 of 69
hmaleville
in reply to: lance.carocci

None of the options work. Still crashing with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffeeb125ff8.

Could you instead review what code change was made and revert to a portable solution? It looks like same problem already occurs last year.

From the crash report, there is a call to _intel_fast_memset, which results in a call stack overflow, probably because the binary code is intel specific. So my guess is that you have turned on an Intel specific optimization in your compilation process.

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 69
hmaleville

It looks like it's related to the "AIRMAX" module, which now includes the Intel® Threading Building Blocks library (may be related to an O2 compiler flag)... 

@lance.carocci 

Message 7 of 69
hmaleville

Sorry for the SPAM.... I don't know what the problem is with these libraries but I've replaced them with the ones provided by BREW and Fusion 360 is back to life (until your next update).... 

@GroovyDrifter You may use this workaround ("brew install tbb", "brew list tbb" to get the location, then copy the .dylib files to ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/xxxxx/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/Framework/AIRMAX/ where xxxxx is probably a unique specific GUID).

Tags (3)
Message 8 of 69
lance.carocci
in reply to: hmaleville

@hmaleville wrote:

Could you instead review what code change was made and revert to a portable solution? It looks like same problem already occurs last year.

It looks like it's related to the "AIRMAX" module, which now includes the Intel® Threading Building Blocks library (may be related to an O2 compiler flag)... 

Our April update included an update to the AIRMAX module, so that makes sense. I can inquire if dependency on that library was a conscious decision or not.

I must be transparent, though - as AIRMAX is a shared component across multiple applications, and device configurations like Hackintoshes are rare/unsupported by the OEM, I cannot make any guarantees around fixing this issue, if for no other reason than we only have retail Intel- and Apple silicon-based macOS devices to debug on.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 9 of 69
hmaleville
in reply to: lance.carocci

I totally understand that you don't support non official Apple computers. But in this case, It just reveals a problem with the TBB dylib deployment. I'm not sure this deployment was intentional, but the version used seems to break in some race condition (this library is supposed to work on Intel compatible CPU). Letting the AIRMAX team of the problem may avoid Autodesk having random customer issues on some intel CPU configurations 🙂 . IOW, the Ryzentosh community may have help you here 🙂
Message 10 of 69
GroovyDrifter

I'll try your fix this afternoon, but surely it will work (Edit: confirmed, it worked). My fix was much more rudimentary, I copied the full app from a High Sierra computer 🙂

If Autodesk needs someone with a suitable system to check a fix for this, I'm almost all the day at home with all the COVID19 thing messing with our lives so I can do it.

Message 11 of 69
hmaleville

Happy to see it worked also for you! Fortunately, it's not a Ryzentosh issue; The fact it breaks on AMD is just a symptom of the real problem.
Message 12 of 69
fer662

Thanks for the assist

Message 13 of 69
faulesbrot10

Thanks a lot! This fix worked flawlessly! Very well instructed!
Message 14 of 69

Just updated to:

Active Plan: Fusion 360, Subscription
macOS 10.15.7

The problem persists, @hmaleville  fix still works 😊

Message 15 of 69
cyyuad

Just wanna thank @hmaleville for the fix, I think I had uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion360 via homebrew 10 times already. 

Tags (2)
Message 16 of 69
developer55KYT

Awesome thread! The Ryzentosh family is bigger than I thought 😁 
I tried the same but got the following exception:

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: __ZN3tbb4task13note_affinityEt
  Referenced from: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/*/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/ASM/libASMbase227A.dylib
  Expected in: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/*/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AIRMAX/libtbb.dylib
 in /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/*/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/ASM/libASMbase227A.dylib

I used TBB v2021.2.0.

Message 17 of 69
hmaleville
in reply to: developer55KYT

Where did you get your library from?

otool -L /usr/local/Cellar/tbb/2020_U3_1/lib/libtbb.dylib gives me:

/usr/local/Cellar/tbb/2020_U3_1/lib/libtbb.dylib:

/usr/local/opt/tbb/lib/libtbb.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current
version 0.0.0)

/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
1281.100.1)

/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
902.1.0)

(still running Catalina - 10,15,7)
Message 18 of 69
developer55KYT

Ah ok so you are using a different version I think. I installed it with brew.

otool -L /usr/local/Cellar/tbb/2021.2.0/lib/libtbb.dylib 
/usr/local/Cellar/tbb/2021.2.0/lib/libtbb.dylib:
	/usr/local/opt/tbb/lib/libtbb.12.dylib (compatibility version 12.0.0, current version 12.2.0)
	/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 902.1.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1281.100.1)

I will try to find your version.

Message 19 of 69

I solved the issue. Make sure you install the correct version: 

brew install tbb@2020
Message 20 of 69
reggie84
in reply to: developer55KYT

that did the trick for me version 2020, thanks.

brew install tbb@2020
brew list tbb@2020 

and then copy that to the airmax folder:
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/webdeploy/production/xxxx/Autodesk Fusion 360.app/Contents/Frameworks/AIRMAX

Running:
Active Plan: Fusion 360, Personal
macOS 10.16.0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report