Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Work offset has not been specified. Using G54 as WCS. Why?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
boyd.sofield
22982 Views, 18 Replies

Warning: Work offset has not been specified. Using G54 as WCS. Why?

I have been through my work several times now I still get this warning. I have set the origin, and done everything I thought I need to but I still get the flag when I post it to code.

Can someone tell me what I have done wrong?  

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi @boyd.sofield 

You always needs to set 1 if the offset is G54

if you set to 0 it also gives G54 in the nc output but it will give warning.

wcs.png

Boopathi Sivakumar
Senior Technology Consultant

Message 3 of 19

Hi. Thankyou. I just found that also.

I am wondering why it defaults (the zero) to something that would give me a yellow flag.

Many thanks.

Message 4 of 19

you can set to default if you want

Right Click in the tab >Make all default

wcs2.png

Boopathi Sivakumar
Senior Technology Consultant

Message 5 of 19

Hello. Many thanks for your reply. It solved the issue with the error.

Unfortunately and it took a wee while to work out what was going wrong. I thought this was a hardware problem, but changing the WCS offset, and pushing that zero to 2, causes my machine to lose its own WCS.

If I zero my machine, the part appears in the wrong location. I have attached a screenshot of Mach 3. Where this is setup, the part, should be just above and too the right of the tool.  Instead, the machine thinks the workpiece is further up the table and too the right.

Have I described this problem correctly? Now if I set the machine WCS offset too 0, this problem is fixed, but I get the error message again. I dont know what too do. I am also planning on machining multiple parts at some stage where this will be required. But this is where I am at for now.

Please advise with thanks in advance. Boyd

Message 6 of 19
boyd.sofield
in reply to: boyd.sofield

Apologies, I uploaded a different capture. The machine is up the Y too the RH. It thinks the part is back too the LH of the table. I am sure you will understand.

Message 7 of 19

The 'Make all default' option has evaporated for this workoffset, now you are set with 'make user default'. Once set to 1 it still uses 0 as a default value, completely ignoring the 'make user default' input. 

So long story short, you have to change it manually to 1 every single time you post. (the value that will be used 9999 out of 10000 times) 

Is there a way to hard code this to 1 instead of 0?  (or change it by default to 1 since 0 is wrong anyway)?

Message 8 of 19
seth.madore

The lack of setting User Defaults in regards to Work Offsets is a known (and logged) bug. We are investigating the cause and possible solutions. CAM-30340 for reference

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 19
to3dornottobe
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you very much Seth. Good to hear it's on the radar.

Message 10 of 19

Being the OP I  see  this is one of my first posts.  Not understanding different work offsets was mostly my problem with an error thrown in

Thanks for the help 

Message 11 of 19

The issue that is occuring now depends on the new CAM post feature. It shows an error in the NC list that no work offset has been selected and the following error is that the default saved one is not saved at all. 

In my opinion, it should be set to G54 by default, unless specified differently, since G54 is the default workpiece offset. 

Message 12 of 19

This does NOT work.

Message 13 of 19
to3dornottobe

Any news? With the new layout of posting, the problem arrises more prominent as an error (and a fault in F360). 

It's not working at all. You can't store your user defaults. It simple changes the user default back to 0 instead of 1. (G54, the most main stream and worldwide most default used setting)

Message 14 of 19
seth.madore

No progress to report. It's been logged, and it's going to be worked on at some point. I don't have a date to share, or a workaround to offer. The only solution is to intentionally specify a work offset at the time of creating a Setup

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 19
lukewNC5YV

Hi, 

This warning keeps popping up on mine as well. But the WCS is at 54 and will not let me set it lower? I'm very new to CNCing so am struggling to solve this?

Thanks

Message 16 of 19
seth.madore

In the Setup, you need to set it to ! for it to register a value of 54 in the actual program. This is counter-intuitive, but this is to allow for the various WCS methods. Some machines, such as Fadal and Okuma (I think), use E1, E2 for offsets, other machines use G54, 55 etc.

1, 2, 3 etc = G54, G55, G56 etc

Seth Madore
Message 17 of 19
to3dornottobe

That's perfect, but it still doesn't explain why you can't set a user default (bug is known for about 6 months now).

I think it should be covered in the post processor of that machine, since Fanuc uses G54, 55 etc, but every offset is defined as 1,2,3in the manufacture environment (and somewhere translated in g54, 55 etc) . Sorry, but this 'feature' is frustrating me for such a long time. Autodesk just needs to address the issue with this limping bug. Or remove the option to 'set it as a user default' of it's too hard to figure out why it doesn't work.

Message 18 of 19
seth.madore

There's a fix for the "Set as User Default" bug, it will make it's way into the product at some point

Seth Madore
Message 19 of 19
wdetig
in reply to: boopathi.sivakumar

Thanks, sometimes it's so easy😀

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report