Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered mill tool setup help

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
matteo.ferri78
1799 Views, 3 Replies

Tapered mill tool setup help

Hello everybody

I've bought some tapered mill 2 flutes on  for cutting some delrin using fusion 3D toolpath.

In the tool website description says:

-Flutes: 2 Flutes
-Coating: TiAIN

-Per Side Angle =5.09° 

-Shank: 3.175mm

-Cutting Length: 15mm

-Overall Length: 40mm

-Tip Radius:0.25mm 

Everything looks pretty straightforward expect that I not sure if the Tip Radius is referred to Corner radius setup parameter in Fusion or It's just half of the diameter so I need to put that in the fusion tool diameter  (Radius x 2).

From the picture looks like it's referring to the Corner Radius parameter but then if it's so what the diameter of the tool will be? It doesn't say it

I'm in a bubble  . 

Thank you and sorry for my newbie question

513V6JtG7eL._SL1000_.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Not a "newbie" question at all. The likely answer is that the tip radius is .25mm (or .010"). Depending on what you are doing, you can either define a taper mill or go with a form tool creation.

That said, defining your tool as a tapered mill, using the values you provided, I'm inclined to suggest this as a definition:

2019-12-26_07h43_17.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
engineguy
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore 

@matteo.ferri78 

Good day to you both, this is a very interesting one, looks simple at first but it is a good question.

A lot of years ago when I had tools ground up by a good friend who runs a Tool Grinding Company we had many "discussions" regarding this point, where is the dimension measured from when there is a Radius on the taper, I used to say that it was the flat left on the bottom after the Radii were ground or the diameter at the top of the Radii but I was soon put right.

He says it is regarded as a Flat end mill with Radii added so the dimension is actually the flat before grinding.

So, I says to him how am I supposed to know that, he says why do you need to know it and if you do need it then draw it, if he was feeling benevolent he would  Fax (This was before email!!!) me a drawing showng the dimension.

End of the story is Seth @seth.madore  it appears that you are absolutely correct in suggesting that @matteo.ferri78  does a "Form tool" , I did just that and got quite a difference from the figure in your image.

Taper Mill.JPG

So if it needs to be super accurate then go the "Form Mill" route, it will be best from what I have been told !!!

Regards

Rob

Message 4 of 4

Thank you so much to both of you guys ! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report