Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to select tool for operation" error help

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
eburke197
3661 Views, 34 Replies

"Failed to select tool for operation" error help

Hello,

I recently imported the Harvey tool catalog into my tool library. I find the Harvey P/N I want to use and right click then select "copy tool". I then paste the tool into my milling machine tool library and add a holder, change the feeds, etc. and everything seems normal.

The problem is that when I go to use the tool in an operation I get the error "failed to select tool for operation".

How can I fix this issue as I'd like to use these Harvey tools? Am I missing something so simple?

Thanks,

Eric

Labels (1)
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
engineguy
in reply to: eburke197

@eburke197 

Hi Eric, sorry to hear of your problems with the tools 😞

There is a way to get this to work correctly, do all your copy/paste in your Tool Library and close it.

It is the old business of saving any changes within your Document so even before you do any Design name and save the Document !

If you have already created your Design Document when you move to Manufacture save it before doing anything else and when you come to want a tool you will be able to select it OK from the Tool Library you pasted it into.

For some odd reason it doesn`t seem to be selectable in the imported tool library but the "workaround" above seems to be OK for now 🙂 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 3 of 35

@eburke197 Can I ask if this behaviour is on a specific tool/tool type or any tool?

Thanks

Chris

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 4 of 35

@eburke197 @engineguy I have replicated this behaviour and documented it within a task so the development team can assess it. @eburke197 Thankyou for posting on the forum and bringing it to my attention. @engineguy Thankyou for offering a workaround for the problem.

Regards

Chris

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 5 of 35

@christopher.cooperVHK2N Thanks Chris, glad to see it wasn't just me.

After messing around for a bit more I too was able to find a work around. I was seeing this problem with all of the 3 Harvey tools I was trying to use.

When I would select the tool for the operation I would get the error "failed to select tool for operation" but I also noticed while it wouldn't let me select the tool it did add the tool into the list of tools used in drawing. So all I would do was cancel the error warnings and go to select the tool again but instead of grabbing it from my tool library I would just grab it from the list of tools used in the drawing.

Message 6 of 35
ltomuta

I'm waking up this old thread as the error started to show at my end.

Twice in two days the Tool Library failed to load the selected tools showing this error message:

ltomuta_0-1603887442192.png

When this happens, it affects newly created operations as well as edits on existing ones, with old tools that have been working well before. One other thing I noticed is that when this problem happened the tool preview section is also blank.

ltomuta_1-1603888075524.png

The problem seems to go away after a Fusion restart.

Message 7 of 35

Hi, @ltomuta @eburke197 

This should have been fixed in the latest update. @ltomuta could you let me know which version of the tool library you are using please. Also, do you still see the problem?

Thanks

Chris

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 8 of 35

My Fusion is up-to-date and so should be the Tools Library with its v1.7.5

I first had this problem yesterday and then it happened again today. Both times restarting the app "soved the problem", i.e. the problem is not persistent and since the last restart I had no more issues with it.

Message 9 of 35
ltomuta
in reply to: ltomuta

And it just happened again, out of the blue.

It worked for a while today, then suddenly in the new project it failed to load the first tool I asked for.

Message 10 of 35
engineguy

@ltomuta 

Are you working online with a Cloud Tool Library, if so the issue may lie with the Autodesk servers.

@christopher.cooperVHK2N 

Chris

I did have the same issue at random intervals if I tried to work online, working offline this never happens at all.

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 11 of 35
ltomuta
in reply to: engineguy

Yes, it is a cloud library but in my mind that should only mean that it is fetched from there once per session (and only if changed, should the sync engine be that smart) and then used locally.

It makes no sense to stop working hours after the current session was started.

Message 12 of 35
engineguy

@ltomuta 

All sorts of odd things happen with the servers, one that happened to me earlier today was uploading two images to a Post, chose the first one no problem, chose the second one and got a big Red bar across the top saying I couldn`t upload that image, tried again and it worked the second time !!

No apparent reason for the issue, never happened before !!

Same goes for Screencasts, usually they will upload but take quite a long time to process and show up in the Post, not a big issue, but just now and then won`t appear ever, workaround if that happens is to just do another reply and insert the Screencast in the new reply and it works fine.

So there are probably things happening either at the Servers or somewhere down the line,

Technology !!!! Don`t you just love it/hate it!!!  🙂 😞 🙂 😞 🙂 😞

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 13 of 35
rhdfmail

Same thing just happened here

Copied some OP:s from one project to a new one (2 almost identical parts)
Can't change from one tool to another in the same setup, can't select one from the cloud-library, can't edit a tool

Obviously a bunch of gremlins somewhere

Message 14 of 35
rhdfmail

Same thing today.
Different computer and account.

Even tried to export my cloud-library and import as a local library and then went offline. No difference. 
Can't switch tools and can't create new operations
So now I'm stuck with a drill-op with a 2mm to large drill.....

Message 15 of 35
seth.madore
in reply to: rhdfmail

@rhdfmail what OS are you on? What happens if you revert back to the old Tool Library?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 16 of 35
rhdfmail
in reply to: seth.madore

Win 10 

Restarted fusion, and i's working again (for now)

Message 17 of 35
ltomuta

And this is still a thing today ... 😞

Message 18 of 35
werkplaatsZ45TW

It happens to me 6 to 10 times a week, very very annoying, is there a solution yet???

And yes, i use a cloud based library.

Can somebody please solve this problem!!!!! 😵

I need answers!!!

Message 19 of 35
werkplaatsZ45TW

Hello,

And here we are again, yesterday and today this problem happend between 6 and 12 times. Per day!!!

Since the last update it happens more to me, anyone else has this problem more often?

Why is there no solution?

Please Help us!!

Message 20 of 35

Hello Christopher,

This problem is stil not solved, is it still on the autodesk agenda?

Greetings,

Roald

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report