Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onefinity CNC Machine - does it exist?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bbland808
4926 Views, 10 Replies

Onefinity CNC Machine - does it exist?

I'm very new to the world of CNC routers and the software needed to run them.  That said I am considering the purchase of a Onefinity CNC machine and plan to run it initially with Fusion 360 (personal use version).  The problem I'm having is I can't seem to find all the required elements. There is a Onefinity post processor available but I can't find the machine listed to select on the very first drop down menu under MANUFACTURE / MILLING / Setup / New Setup.  Is it common practice just to select the Autodesk Generic 3-axis as a substitute?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

@bbland808 

For 3 axis you can skip the machine selection. You don't need to select the machine. 

But it will be handy to define the homing position values, and other stuffs line kinematic definition if it is a multiaxis machine. You can use Autodesk Generic 3-axis milling machine that will be a good place to start

Boopathi Sivakumar
Senior Technology Consultant

Message 3 of 11

Thank you for clarifying.  One the Onefinity forum it seems that most of the Fusion 360 users are reporting rather poor results regarding accuracy issues.  I was wondering if Machine selection had anything to do with it.

Message 4 of 11
will_1
in reply to: bbland808

Hi @bbland808 ,

I believe the issue is with arcs. Are you seeing any arcs in your nc code? The most recent post from the download page should not be outputting any arcs. You could give that one a try and see if it resolves your issues.

Thanks,
Will

Message 5 of 11
bbland808
in reply to: will_1

Will, is your reply for this post?  I haven't gotten into any post processing concerns yet.

Message 6 of 11
will_1

Hi @bbland808 ,

It was brought to my attention recently that Onefinity would handle linear moves better than arcs so updated the post to output linear moves instead. I guess I am not really understanding what you mean by "accuracy".

Thanks,

Will

Message 7 of 11
bbland808
in reply to: will_1

Oh OK, I'll keep that in mind when I get that far.  Right now I'm just trying to set everything up correctly inside the MANUFACTURE section to run the simulation and create the post process file.  I haven't actually bought the Onefinity CNC router yet...I'm just focused on trying to learn the software side for now.  It just seemed odd to me that there is a Onefinity Post Processor available but you can't select the machine on the very first menu selection.  My plan is to create a test file and send it to a Fusion 360 / Onefinity user to run for me to see how it comes out.  So anyone who fits the bill and is looking to make a couple bucks, please reply😎.

Butch 

Message 8 of 11
johnswetz1982

There is only one post processor because you do NOT need to pick a machine to put out code like the original reply already said. There is not a post processor per machine model type of deal.

Message 9 of 11
bbland808
in reply to: johnswetz1982

Thanks John for your response.  I'm new at this so bear with me while a further clarify.  So if Onefinity had more than one model and they had different post processors for them, would I then need to select the Machine to match the post processor?  Sorry I come from the office printer world where you had to have the specific print driver matched to the specific printer make & model otherwise you got strange output from the printer -lol.

So the answer to my original question of whether a Onefinity CNC machine exits within Fusion 360, the answer is NO.

Got it!

Thanks,

Butch

Message 10 of 11
johnswetz1982

Generally no, The machine does not matter only the controller that processes the code. An example is Haas machines. They have about 20 different models of lathes and mills but can use 2 post processers for almost any machine, a Pre next Gen for older controls and a newer post for Next Gen controllers. The do have post for specific machines but that is just to tailor them to machine specific features.

A lesser common example is something like a post for a Siemens controller which is used and implemented by many different machine builders in different ways and those posts usually need a little customizing. But for what you are after there is probably one post that will run everything that your machines company makes.

Message 11 of 11
bbland808
in reply to: johnswetz1982

Thanks John, now I understand how this works.  Thanks for patiently explaining it to me.

Butch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report