Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob CNC Tooling question. How to leave stock and just cut out 3D part.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bry0603
193 Views, 5 Replies

Noob CNC Tooling question. How to leave stock and just cut out 3D part.

I'm new to tooling in prep for CNC work. I have 4mm sheet that I need to make discs out of that have 2 diameter with one step. Essential the first step is a 45mm dia and the larger a 50mm dia. The step are an equal 2mm. So I'd like to create a path that first outlines the smaller 45mm dia and grooves it to the 50mm dia and then cut through the 50mm dia. I cannot seem to figure out how to do that without it wanting to eliminate the whole 75mm square stock.

I did 3D adaptive clearing. Can anyone steer me in the correct direction? I can provide other details as well.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
bry0603
in reply to: bry0603

I'm not entirely sure if my problem lies in the Setup or the Tooling.

Message 3 of 6
bry0603

From spending some time messing with it I have found that if I make 2 different cuts, I can get there. The first being a 3D Pocket Clearing and the second being a Circular cut of the largest diameter, I can get pretty close. There is a 2D Contour feature that seems like it should work but I can't get it to cut outside the model. With Contour you can create tabs that would be helpful in keeping the part in place but as I mentioned, I can't get it to follow the correct diameter. 

Can you make tabs with a Circular cut or is there something I'm missing about the Contour cut?

Message 4 of 6
bry0603

I tried to upload a screen recording but I'm getting this error so sorry:

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

Message 5 of 6
mattdlr89

I think tabs is only available in 2D contour (I haven’t actually used it myself)

When you select a contour in 2D contour a red arrow should appear near the contour. This shows what side of the contour your tool will cut. By clicking on the arrow you can switch the side you cut. 

Message 6 of 6
bry0603

@mattdlr89Thank you!! That was it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report