Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better way to machine 3D fillet

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
5X-machines
413 Views, 4 Replies

Better way to machine 3D fillet

Hey everyone

I've got a part with a fillet along a curved surface and been having trouble creating a clean toolpath to machine it.

5X-machines_1-1595545703113.png

Ideally I would like a semi-finish and finish pass. Blend has gotten me the closest results but if I try to turn on stock to leave, the toolpath gets scrambled and leaves much of it untouched.

I've also tried trace and pencil but neither give good results right out the gate and I feel there should be an easier way then to make a bunch of sketches to drive them.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarthBane55
in reply to: 5X-machines

This will work, but still had to create a sketch.  A very simple one though, just a circle.  Picture below, and file attached.  Semi-finish and finish pass (project toolpath).

Note: I just did the toolpath, did not tweak anything like S&F or correct X-Y axis orientation, or anything else.

PS: I would think that pencil is made just for exactly this kind of stuff, but I have never been able to do anything of any value with it.  If someone can demonstrate with this sample how to make it work with pencil, that would be great.  If not, maybe someone can explain exactly what pencil mill would be ideal for... thanks!

1.png

Message 3 of 5
mattdlr89
in reply to: DarthBane55

@DarthBane55 

I'd also like to know when/why to use pencil machining?

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: DarthBane55

Overthickness. This function isn't one that's self evident, and it's the key to the whole Pencil thing working:

2020-07-24_07h32_48.png

 Shown above with a .005" overthickness value (found in the Passes tab), no other changes were made.

Imagine a machining world with Multi-Axis Pencil, wouldn't that be something!

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
DarthBane55
in reply to: seth.madore

I'll be damned!  Thanks Seth!  I was able to make a clean toolpath after a bit of trials.  There was always a little loop happening in a few places, so I had to find the magic number under "tolerance" to avoid the loops, which was 0.0003".  Anything else, like 0.0001, 0.0002, 0.0004, etc, would produce some loops around the path.  At least it worked and this gave me a better understanding of that toolpath.

Yeah, would be great with 5-axis, but according to the roadmap...  it is coming...  we'll see...

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report