Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid retract for every pass.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jjldk
4210 Views, 8 Replies

Avoid retract for every pass.

Merry Christmas.

I am new to Fusion and just a hobbyrist.

When I create a 2D Contour with multiple depths, I got a retraction for every pass. Is there a way to avoid that ?

Thanks in advance

Jens J. Larsen

Denmark

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LibertyMachine
in reply to: jjldk

Nothing at all wrong with being a hobbyist, welcome to the forums!

The button you are looking for is this one, found on the last tab in the 2D Contour operation dialog window

screenshot_40.png

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 9
jjldk
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Thanks.

YES it works, just what I was looking for Smiley Happy

Thank you very much for your super fast responce.

/JJ

PS. Use Fusion for creating parts for my model airplanes. Cutting mostly Wood, carbonfiber and other sheet materials, so I like the the Tabs function very much.

Message 4 of 9
LibertyMachine

Hey, that's pretty cool! Desktop cnc mill or router?

The tabs function is a pretty cool feature. It would be nice if they extended that function into the 3D operations, but it works well for what it's commonly used for.

Do take care with your entry strategies. Mainly referring to the Z axis. Plunging into certain materials can be risky or dangerous (to machine, tooling and operator) and a Helix ramping entry is preferred (wood and plastic excluded

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
jjldk
in reply to: LibertyMachine

It is a Autograv III desktop router with a 900W Kress spindle motor.

I have milled small parts of aluminium and you are right, plunging in Z direction does not sound very good !!

How do I make a Z Helix ramping entry in 2D Contour?

/JJ

Message 6 of 9
LibertyMachine

2D Contour you are rather limited on your entry strategies. I misspoke (mis-typed?)when I send Helical ramp, I should have said simply Ramp. There are a few options available to you in this case;

1) You could drill a pilot hole in the stock and use that as you "Predrill" hole. To do that, you would need to define a point or draw a circle (sketch is all that is needed) where you would want the predrill hole to be

2) Leverage the intelligence of "Stock Contours" so the toolpath start point is extended to outside the properly defined stock (I say properly defined, since some people tend to skip this important part and go with "relative sized stock")

3) Dispense with "Multiple Depths" and use Ramp instead.

These last 2 methods are demonstrated in this screencast I just made:

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9

With the 2D contour you can set it so it almost does a continuous ramp into the material you just have a angle around 2 degrees, depending on the tool used and depth of cut, it's fine for wood and plastic.

It's a bit of of a pucker the first time you do it, but it is the standard way of doing it, quite often a 20 degree ramp is fine as well.

The fusion toolpaths are realy good on routers useing smoothing and feed optimization, you can go over the top with the depth a width of cut and it fine.

You just limit the max depth by what Hp you have. .4Hp max depth of 3mm 1Hp max depth of 6mm 3 Hp max depth of 20mm this is only with fusion cutting wood and plastic with smoothing and feed optimization.

I have by mistake done a 25 mm depth of cut 100% width of cut and it was fine, I jumped for the Estop but it was cutting with no issues so I left it going, other programs the cutter will go bang.

Aluminum with the correct cutters you set it by the chip load and Hp required for the chip load.

Carbon fibre you pay someone else to cut it's nasty stuff.  

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 9
jjldk
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Thanks for the advises

I have used the Ramp option, and it Works really great, just remember to uncheck the Lead-Out box !!

/JJ

Message 9 of 9
daniel_lyall

Yep it takes time to learn what you can and cant do, lead in and outs are not realy needed with routers when cutting wood and plastic you just have to make sure you always use a ramp type and not cut too deep with small spindles you can go flat out with the spindle speed but they cant handle the load and last very long.

Changing the spindle to a decent VFD and a chinese spindle of 1 Hp plus variety is a good idea as well.

And getting a pendant they make life very easy. 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums