Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time Collaboration: Google Docs/Onshape style.

Real Time Collaboration: Google Docs/Onshape style.

I use Google Docs on a daily basis, and having real-time collaboration with colleagues is such a powerful asset. Recently, I coded 500+ line-long program (that worked great) with a friend in under 2 hours with Atom/Teletype... Something that wouldn't have been possible if we just sent saved versions back and forth to each other. No other program has integrated cloud Simulation, t-spline sculpting, 5-axis CAM, sheet metal, rendering, and etc. like Fusion 360 has... which is why adding collaboration in REAL TIME within Fusion 360 would be monumental, and would put F360 (at least, IMO) at the top of all current CAD programs.

Onshape has already implemented this (along with Branch/Merge functionality, which you guys should bring back) and their workflow is extremely close to what I'm talking about. This is quite difficult to code--especially considering integrating the timeline--but it would be beyond worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhV2Tmng9nU

Also, you could improve on Onshape's current workflow by showing what other users may be looking at. I could imagine something similar to Google Docs and Atom/Teletype, where other users cursors appear wherever they are editing. Instead, Fusion could have designated "cameras" for each user, with different colors. These cameras would be color-coded and centered on the viewpoint of each specific user. I've attached a screenshot showing how I think this could work.

I hope that you guys at Autodesk consider this and/or something is already in the works! I'd love to see this implemented, and I think the community would benefit too.

8 Comments
thebonsaidude
Explorer

Fusion 360 needs this!

mx3designs
Community Visitor

@RayvenMakerWow, your diagram looks great! I think fusion would really benefit from this

keanewolf06
Community Visitor

Why hasn't Fusion done this already? One of their main motifs is collaboration anyways. They come somewhat close with Live Review Sessions, but there's only one person editing at a time there. The team at Autodesk should definitely consider this.

RayvenMaker
Contributor

@keanewolf06Admitably, this would be pretty difficult to write code for. Fusion 360's core (kernel?) wasn't designed for managing multiple modeling operations at once (as far as I know). Every method for collaboration that they've made--like branch and merge--ends up still being one person in a file at a time. So, I guess that could be a probable explanation. Maybe @keqingsong or @promm would have a better explanation than I do. 😉

Reamsme
Community Visitor

Awesome idea! I think it would be highly beneficial to most everyone.

RayvenMaker
Contributor

@ReamsmeDefinitely! Not a lot of CAD software packages have this sort of feature. If Fusion could make this mainstream, it could really change how teams use CAD software. 

judeTTM8B
Community Visitor

This is a great idea! This feature would make it much easier for teams to work together in Fusion 360.

rricup
Explorer

This would be absolutely amazing, and a game changer in Fusion's appeal to groups and overall. Instead of having to click that dastardly yellow exclamation box, one could see changes in real time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report