Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option for Fixed environment, rotate Part.

Option for Fixed environment, rotate Part.

Option for a fixed environment just rotate model.

I'm making this request mostly to help viewing in the CAM workspace while simulating but it would also be useful in the render workspace. Lets face it in real life if you want to look at the bottom of part you're more likely to turn the part over rather than stand on your head or turn the whole world upside down!

Here's an example of a simulation in the CAM workspace, working on the bottom face.

test.png

Mark

9 Comments

Stand on your head, I love it 🙂

jeff.pek
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

How would you expect this to actually work?

Would you expect to somehow select a part in the workspace, and rotate it with the mouse/spaceball somehow? Would you expect a command, along the lines of what's in the design space (move/rotate)? How "sticky" would you expect this adjustment to be? (e.g., would it be undoable, etc.)?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeff

HughesTooling
Consultant

At the moment if you turn on environmental dome and zoom out you see this.

test.png

As you rotate the part and dome move together, what I'd like is the dome fixed and the model rotate. I'd only want it as an option not forced on everyone all the time.

Mark

jeff.pek
Community Manager

Hmm. I guess I've never even seen that environment dome before. What help does it provide?

Is your concern only related to when you have that displayed? Or more generally?

I take it you would expect the entire model to be rotated when you rotate, and not individual bodies or components, and it wouldn't be considered a change to the model?

Thanks,

Jeff

HughesTooling
Consultant

The dome was just so you can see what's going on, I turn off all effects all the time. Yes I see the whole model rotating. Looking a bit more I'm not sure how the lighting works as you can get the bottom lit to the point where it's too bright then move a bit and it's in shadow so perhaps just more ambient light is needed.

test.png

What I'm asking for would still be useful for rendering though, the top of the screen would always be up and you'd rotate the model within the environment like rotating a real part\model in your hand.

Mark

HughesTooling
Consultant

Take a look at this screencast, in Rhino it appears there's fixed lighting. It seem like the light is to the left top of the screen shining from behind the viewer\camera, and as you rotate the cube you can get highlighting of a face but the others remain quite bright. In Fusion at the end of the screencast you can see in some orientations the cube lights on the 3 visible faces well but rotate 90° and one or two faces go into shadow. Really can't make out how the lighting is working in Fusion, it seems to rotate with the part.

Mark

kb9ydn
Advisor

This is one thing I've noticed with the CAM simulation in Fusion, there are angles where visibility is terrible because it's either too dark or too bright.  The lighting seems way too directional.  In fact outside of rendering (which I never do anyway) I couldn't care less about directional lighting.  I would rather have totally flat ambient light with no shadows.

C|

SolubleSpork
Advocate

I think I get what the idea here is.  Essentially rotate currently rotates the entire world coordinate system, which includes the part.  It sounds like the idea is to have the option of rotating the part dynamically and keep the world coordinate system the same.  Not having done much with render, I think I like @kb9ydn 's idea best - in CAM, I don't need lighting effects.  It seems to me that lighting and shadows and whatnot are really only useful in render.

Not to speak for Mark, but I don't think that's what the idea is.

Stationary lighting, everything else moves.

Pick up a part in your hand. Hold a flashlight or desk lamp in another. Rotate the part around. What is the lighting doing?

Not the best metaphor, as the World Coordinate System does stay the same, but you get the idea. 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report