Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nesting

Nesting

I have multiple CNC machines and would love to see nesting. I currently use Alpha Cam, Router Cim, Xilog, and Holzher Hops to program all my different machines. I think Fusion is ripe for being able to tap into this sector of machining. The ability to share, and posts and all the other features have me chomping at the bit. I have made programs with it on one of my routers, but it would be great to create one nest, and be able to tool it and post depending on what machine I want to send it to. Huge time saver, since the actual nesting takes the most time finding the perfect nest, and its also frustrating not having the machine control in some cam packages (HOPS) to be able to do fancy machining

92 Comments
robin_lindsey
Participant

I recently started consulting at a furniture manufacturer and would like to bring Fusion 360 in to help help with some of the CNC'd parts. I think adding a Panel optimization tool wood be a great idea. Example- If a wood shop is cutting multiple pieces of an assembly out of one piece of plywood the user could simply place all of the pieces into the assembly and click optimize and the pieces would be laid out to take up only as much room as necessary. 

Tags (7)

Perhaps this scripts helps you (for a while) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SY367qt3YQ&feature=youtu.be

daniel_lyall
Mentor

thats is coming soon it's called nesting more votes do help to get it higher up the lader

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

As the others have said, this is commonly referred to as nesting. We do have future plans to implement nesting functionality.

CAM-6926

PETERSTENABAUGH
Enthusiast

Until such time as Fusion gets the Nesting feature finished - anyone that needs nesting done could possibly look at Aspire or Vcarve Pro from Vectric.  If you have the software already you can bring your dxf file into Aspire and do the nesting there.  Once done you can export the file back to dxf and use it in Fusion or just use Aspire to cut the gcode..... if you don't have Aspire, then download the 30 day demo and use that until it runs out.  When that runs out maybe you can download the Vcarve Pro and try it that way.  I don't know if they will pick up on you downloading 2 different packages but it might work for you.  Anyway, it's a work around for now.

wtxrcdog
Contributor

Hello Thanks for a great software package. I believe it could be made better for my use on my routers if nesting and v-carving could be included. I now use Vectric software for this. I love to use Fusion and I am trying to make it work on my routers.

Bruce Hoover 

smet.kim
Observer
Please add nesting to fusion 360
daniel_lyall
Mentor

@wtxrcdog Fusion has Vcarve it's just called engrave but it's the same thing.

wtxrcdog
Contributor

I have used the engrave feature before maybe I just need to use it more often to get used to it. It seems like it was a little harder to use.

Bruce

balunist
Advocate

I would like to morph this suggestion a bit.  I design and build furniture and got my start in 3D modeling in baby steps using Sketchup to model my furniture.  When a acquired my CNC I moved to Fusion 360 for it's CAM integration and I discovered how productive real CAD software and parametric model could be.  There is one Sketchup plugin that provides functionality missing in Fusion 360.  It's called CutMap which allows you to input both plywood and lumber you have available and when run it would provide a layout of all design components on either plywood or boards of lumber based on component dimension and material it is made of.   It also created a cut list with the quantities and dimensions.

I do all my wood working now in Fusion 360 for both CNC and conventional shop machining and saving the step of exporting designs to Sketchup would simplify things a great deal. 

The description of the Sketchup plugin can be found here.    CutMap plugin for Sketchup                

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

jdawg
Contributor
I will be glad to test anything you need tested. As I am already trying to
figure out how to configure a post for my Holzher, SCMI, KOMO, and WINcnc
machines
colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Looking in to a solution. No date for release at this time. 

jdawg
Contributor
I am willing to help Alpha test especially in the arena of post processing
and ease of use.
pbeseda
Explorer

We're doing all of our shops drawings and designs in Fusion now. This would take Fusion (and our shop) to the next level. Would love to see this and would be willing to test / give feedback at any time.

floriangoetzTU455
Community Visitor

+1

waiting for it. Can also help with testing or helping with my opinion how I think it should work...

dmorris750
Contributor

Happy to test on my machines to help make this happen!

This is the biggest area where Fusion is lacking for CAM and Machining!

Really need this to justify using Fusion in the workplace and not just as a hobby tool for messing around.

PLEASE HELP ME kick CabinetVision to the curb by adding this!!!

jdawg
Contributor
I have been working with a man who seems to be able to write posts for many
of the oddball cnc machines. We are currently sorting out Holzher. It isn't
free, but if it works, it will be worth it.
jbrewlet
Enthusiast

This is the ONE feature I'd kill to have in Fusion 360. The only reason I open the crappy software that came with my CNC is to nest.

EricCad2
Explorer

Please add Nesting to fusion 360 cam.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report