Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders for sketches

Folders for sketches

I'd love to have the ability to group and organise my sketches in a similar way to how folders can be used in Photoshop or Adobe Premiere. Yes, I know I should probably be more organised.... but I can't be the only person who ends up with this situation, spending half my time scrolling on my mouse wheel...

sketches.jpg

9 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

If you follow Rule#1 this will not be a problem. You don't have to follow Rule#1 but as this is not a problem for people who do I'm not sure how many votes you'll get

allenph
Explorer

Thanks Hugh, it's a good point. Am I right in thinking even within a component you could still end up with a number of sketches though - so could still have value

@allenph wrote:

I'd love to have the ability to group and organise my sketches in a similar way to how folders can be used in Photoshop or Adobe Premiere. Yes, I know I should probably be more organised.... but I can't be the only person who ends up with this situation, spending half my time scrolling on my mouse wheel...

sketches.jpg

even if following rule 1?

HughesTooling
Consultant

Yes but don't see more than 10-15 usually. But I guess it could still be useful to some. Mainly I wanted to make you aware of Rule#1 if you're making assemblies as it makes managing the timeline, browser etc. a lot easier.

Mark

sklkengineer
Enthusiast

Not just sketches, but grouping parts would be really helpful too. I don't need to see each individual screw I added most of the time.

I can easily have double the number on assembliesI can easily have double the number on assemblies

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@allenph @sklkengineer you are missing some basic concepts in Fuion 360! Before posting "new ideas" maybe you should ask questions on the regular forum.

sklkengineer
Enthusiast

@TrippyLighting

I can only find your recommendation for grouping bodies into components

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/grouping-multiple-bodies/td-p/6351361

and your Rule #1 and #2 post

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/fusion-360-r-u-l-e-1-and-2/td-p/6581749

Neither of these actually describes the feature request that @allenph made.

I did search and I can't find anything on grouping sketches or joints  like requested other than the multiple requests for those features.

Could you point out an example, tutorial or post that we might have missed instead of just telling us to go to another category?

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@sklkengineer let me first separate this into two ideas. Grouping sketches and grouping components, which you call parts in your post.

Rule #1 not only groups bodies into components, it groups all features that belong to a single compute into that component, including the sketch's that were used to create it. That will usually drastically cut down on the number of sketches in a single folder. So much that an additional hierarchy / folder for sketches to be sorted it becomes unnecessary and it can be taken care of with R.U.L.E #2 by properly naming the sketch.

Your idea of sorting components into folders I might support. Usually that is also taken care of to a degree by organizing a design into assemblies and subassemblies, but one would might want to categorize components. E.g. all the fasteners into one folder. All the machined parts not one folder and so forth.

In general I would not want to discourage  people from posting new ideas and in fact I've sent a number of people that asked question on the forum to the idea station. However, the idea station is fully of ideas that are not only not new but where it is clear that he poster yes an incorrect workflow and has not yet discovered the full functionality of Fusion 360 and a such it would have been better posted on the Forum as a question.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Post removed. Wrong thread 😉

J_Good
Participant

Is this “Rule #1” talk insinuating that we’re supposed to use components as if they’re folders? How do I manage a BOM when some items are grouped because they’re actual components and some are grouped because I was trying to regain some sanity by reducing browser clutter?

I’m a bit tired of workarounds being presented as fixes. 

Unfortunately the 200+ vote idea on this topic was wrongly marked “implemented” after folders for bodies were introduced. One poster was calling for body folders, while the rest were calling for folders for pretty much everything else. 

I’d say there is still strong demand for the idea of folders. No need to belittle the members in this thread by acting like the fix is already in existence. You know what they’re asking for. And what you’re offering isn’t it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report